The County Solid Waste Master Plan was adopted by the Dakota County Board of Commissioners in March 2012. The Master Plan presents the County’s strategic approach for new and ongoing programs that can improve solid and hazardous waste management by residents, businesses, industry and government through 2030. Key approaches include:
- Broadening communication, consultation and technical assistance.
- Enhancing recycling and organics diversion.
- Maximizing resource recovery capacity at resource recovery facilities.
- Improving data quality to support decision-making.
- Leveraging partnerships for better education and delivery of services.
- Expanding and developing new educational, financial and regulatory tools to shift more waste to environmentally-preferred management methods.