Kids in grades 6-8 looking to display their work can submit their original two-dimensional artwork to be considered for a new exhibit. Artists may submit one piece reflecting the theme “Heroes of Today.” Entrants must live in Dakota County. Submissions are due by Monday, Feb. 3, 2014.
The art exhibit is one of the ways the Dakota County Public Art Citizen Advisory Committee is working to make local art more accessible to residents.
The committee will review the submissions and make a recommendation to the County Board. The Dakota County Board of Commissioners will make the final decision on which art pieces will be exhibited. The committee includes seven members who have backgrounds in art and have been selected by the Board.
The artwork will be displayed in at the Dakota County Western Service Center, 14955 Galaxie Avenue, Apple Valley, MN 55124. The exhibit will last for a total of six months.
Artwork can be submitted to Jean Erickson by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to Dakota County Public Services & Revenue Division, 1590 Highway 55, Hastings, MN 55033.
Submittals must include a completed Application/Submission Form. All information included on the Application/Submission Form will be classified as public data and will be made available to the public upon request.
Criteria for Selection
- Subject Matter – The theme of this Community Photo Exhibit is: Heroes of Today.
- Originality – Artwork must be one-of-a-kind.
- Artistic Excellence – Artwork must be of high quality and aesthetic merit.
- Appropriateness to Site – Artwork should be two-dimensional.
- Condition – Artwork should be ready to be hung. (At a minimum matted; mounting or framing is appreciated.)
- Restrictions – Artwork will be on loan to Dakota County for a period of approximately six months. The artwork will be displayed after the artist and the County has entered into a written agreement regarding the display. Artists will relieve the County for responsibility for any damage to the art.
- Community Values – Artwork may not be obscene and shall be appropriate in terms of local community values.