Photographers looking to display their work can submit their original photos to be considered for a new exhibit. Photographers, age 8 and older, may submit up to two photographs reflecting the theme Human Faces of Dakota County. Photographs must be taken in Dakota County. Entrants must live in Dakota County and submissions are due by Monday, Jan. 28, 2013.
The photography exhibit is one of the ways the Dakota County Public Art Citizen Advisory Committee is working to make local art more accessible to residents. The committee includes seven members who have backgrounds in art and have been selected by the Board.
The committee will review the submissions and make a recommendation to the board. The Dakota County Board of Commissioners will make the final decision on which photographs will be exhibited.
The photographs will be displayed for six months at the Dakota County Western Service Center, 14955 Galaxie Avenue, Apple Valley
Photos can be submitted to Jean Erickson by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed, in a digital format, to Dakota County Public Services & Revenue Division, 1590 Highway 55, Hastings, MN 55033.
Photos should be high resolution images (minimum of 1800 X 2400 pixels). The photographer will be responsible for printing the selected at 11 inches X 14 inches at a 300 dpi resolution. Photographs will be framed for hanging by the Dakota County Historical Society.
Submittals must include a completed Application/Submission Form. All information included on the Photo Exhibit Application/Submission Form will be classified as public data and will be made available to the public upon request.
Criteria for Selection
- Subject Matter – The theme of this Community Photo Exhibit is: Human Faces of Dakota County.
- Originality – photographs must be one-of-a-kind.
- Artistic Excellence – photographs must be of high quality and aesthetic merit.
- Appropriateness to Site – Photograph prints will be 11 inches X 14 inches.
- Condition – Photographs should not be mounted, matted or framed. The Dakota County Historical Society will matt and frame each photograph selected to be a part of the exhibition.
- Restrictions – photographs will be on loan to Dakota County for a period of approximately six months. The photos will be displayed after the photographer and the County have entered into a written agreement regarding the display. Photographers will relieve the County for responsibility for any damage to the art.
- Community Values – photographs may not be obscene and shall be appropriate in terms of local community values.