Help Me Grow is for eligible infants, toddlers and preschoolers with developmental delays. These services are designed to identify and meet children’s needs in five developmental areas:
- Physical – ability to move, see and hear
- Cognitive – ability to learn
- Communication – ability to understand language and express needs
- Social or emotional – ability to relate with others
- Adaptive skills – ability to dress, eat and take care of yourself.
Parents and family members, doctors, hospital and public health nurses, WIC clinics, and childcare providers can all refer a child for an early intervention evaluation. In Dakota County, all referrals for early intervention services go to each school district’s Early Childhood Special Education program. Make an online referral to Help Me Grow.EligibilityFor children birth to 3 years old
- The child has a diagnosed physical or mental condition that has a high probability of resulting in a developmental delay regardless of whether the child has a need or delay right now; or
- The child is experiencing a delay that meets state criteria in one or more
areas of development.
For children 3–5 years old
- The child has a diagnosed physical or mental condition that has a high
probability of resulting in a developmental delay; or
- The child has a delay that meets state criteria in two or more areas of development.
* Children 3–5 years old must also have a need for special education in order to be eligible.
For more information, contact the Early Intervention Coordinator at 952-891-7449.
Screening & evaluation
All screening and evaluation for services is conducted by local school districts. If you are concerned about your child’s development, contact your local school district’s Early Childhood Special Education program to find out if he or she is eligible for early intervention services. Screening and evaluation are provided at no cost to you. Find out more about the screen process.
Early Childhood Special Education numbers for each school district
- Help Me Grow Minnesota: 1-866-693-4769
- District 191 Burnsville/Eagan/Savage: 952-895-6652
- District 192 Farmington: 651-463-5067 (0–3); 651-463-5066 (3–5)
- District 200 Hastings: 651-480-7446
- District 199 Inver Grove Heights: (age 0–3) 651-306-3640; (age 3–5) 651-306-7313
- District 194 Lakeville: (age 0–3) 952-232-3054; (age 3–5) 952-232-3043
- District 195 Randolph: 507-645-7409 ext. 212
- District 196 Rosemount/Apple Valley/Eagan: 952-431-8700
- District 06 South St. Paul: (age 0–3) 651-306-3640; (age 3–5) 651-457-9496
- District 197 West St. Paul: 651-403-7011
ServicesIf a child is found eligible, parents and a team of professionals will meet and develop a written plan for providing services to the child. This plan is called the Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) for children from birth to three years of age and the Individual Education Plan (IEP) for children age three to six. See what services are available.