Everyday in America, 2,500 youth ages 12 to 17 abuse a pain reliever for the very first time. Where do they get the prescription drugs? Over 70% obtained them from a relative or friend.
Why should parents be concerned?
- More teens abuse Rx drugs than any other illicit drug, except marijuana.
- Rx and OTC drugs are easily accessible.
- Many teens believe it is safe to abuse Rx and OTC drugs.
- Abuse of Rx drugs can be dangerous, even fatal.
- Teens often sell their medications to others.
According to the Minnesota Student Survey, 10% of 12th grade students in Dakota County used their own or someone else’s ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) or ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) drugs to get high. These medications include: Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine and Strattera.
Visit www.TheAntiDrug.com for parenting tips.