Law Library staff trained in legal research can assist you in locating legal information. Staff is not permitted to provide legal advice or legal interpretation.
The Law Library has the resources below to help you with your legal research.
These include legal encyclopedias and digests, legal dictionaries, and attorney directories.
All state statutes, session laws, agency regulations and case law for appellate-level cases. Citators with references to new case law citations are also available.
Hastings: in print and on Westlaw and Lexis.
Apple Valley: some in print, all on Westlaw and Lexis.
Federal statutes, public laws, bills, agency regulations (CFR), USCAN, and all federal case law reporters. Citators are available for case history.
Hastings: many in print, all on Westlaw and Lexis.
Apple Valley: on Westlaw and Lexis.
Materials from other jurisdictions
Cases, statutes and agency regulations from all U.S. states and territories;.
Both locations: Westlaw only.
Practice materials and forms
Practice materials such as:
- Minnesota Practice Series
- Minnesota Civil Practice
- Minnesota Family Law Practice Manual
- Dunnell Minnesota Digest
- Pirsig on Pleading
- Stein on Probate
- Employment in Minnesota
- Minnesota Judges Criminal Benchbook
- American Law Reports (ALR)
- American Jurisprudence 2d (Amjur)
- Corpus Juris Secundum (CJS)
- AMJUR Trials
- AMJUR Pleading and Practice Forms
- West's Federal Forms
- Wright & Miller's Federal Practice & Procedure
- Appellate Practice Manual
- LaFave, Israel & King's Criminal Procedure
- Federal model jury instructions
- All Restatements of the law
- Minnesota CLEs
Hastings: in print and some online.
Apple Valley: Minnesota Practice, CJS and some others in print; many others online; limited Minnesota CLEs.
Common legal issue text
The Law Library just isn’t for attorneys. It has an extensive collection of texts on common legal issues such as:
- Family law - divorce, custody, child support, parenting time, grandparents' rights
- Consumer and debt issues
- Wills and estate planning
- Real estate
- Conciliation court
- Starting and running a business
- Criminal law and procedure
- Immigration and citizenship
- Bankruptcy Copyright, patent and trademark
- Court rules and procedures
- How to research the law
The Law Library also has some Minnesota court and legal forms for non-lawyers. Materials are split between locations.
The Law Library maintains its collections in accordance with its Collection Development Policy.