Spring means poetry at the Library. Haiku, free verse, odes and sonnets—whatever your poetry style, the Dakota County Library celebrates National Poetry Month by hosting an annual poetry contest where you can showcase your talents.
Poets of all ages are encouraged to submit original poems from April 1–30. Winners are announced at Poetry Month events in May where awards and prizes are given to the top three entries in five age groups:
- Children age 6–8
- Children age 9–11
- Teens age 12–14
- Teens age 15–18
- Adults age 19 and older
- This contest is open to all users of the Dakota County and South St. Paul libraries.
- Poems or raps must be your original work.
- You may submit one poem or rap of no more than two pages.
- No offensive or derogatory language.
- Submit entries online or at any Dakota County or South St. Paul Library by midnight April 30, 2013.
- Enter online starting April 1 or pick up an entry form at any Dakota County Library location. Download an entry form.
- A panel of judges will determine the winners based on creativity, clarity, style, form and meaning.