Dakota County makes it easy for residents to properly manage their leftover household chemicals and hazardous waste.
The Recycling Zone is open year-round
Bring leftover hazardous products to The Recycling Zone for free, environmentally safe recycling and disposal.
One-day community collection events
Household hazardous waste—such as leftover paint, household cleaners, driveway sealers, lawn and garden chemicals, fluorescent bulbs and automotive fuels—is collected at one-day events.
Events are open to all Dakota County residents.
Hastings – Saturday, April 30
9 a.m.–1 p.m.
Cal Ruedy Public Works Building, 1225 Progress Dr., Hastings
Lakeville – Saturday, May 7
9 a.m.– 2 p.m.
Central Maintenance Facility, 7570 179th St. W., Lakeville
Farmington — Saturday, Sept. 10
9 a.m.–1 p.m.
Farmington Maintenance Facility, 19650 Municipal Drive, Farmington
Burnsville — Saturday, Oct. 1
9 a.m.–2 p.m.
Burnsville Maintenance Facility, 13713 Frontier Court, Burnsville
The following types of household wastes will be collected at all the community collection events. Each event may accept additional materials.
Household hazardous waste
- Driveway sealer
- Fluorescent light bulbs
- Gasoline or other fuels
- Lawn and garden products
- Mercury thermometers
- Paint—latex or oil
- Paint thinner
- Propane tanks/gas cylinders
- Rechargeable batteries
- Weed and insect killers
- Wood preservatives
- Most products labeled dangerous, flammable, combustible, poisonous, or corrosive
- Answering machines
- Cell phones — including Blackberry®, iPhone® and other smart phones
- Computer equipment (keyboards, mouse, towers, hard drives, modems, etc.)
- DVD players
- Electronic games systems (Wii™, PlayStation™, Xbox®, Nintendo DS™, Leap Frog®, VTech®, etc.)
- Fax machines
- iPods®, MP3 and other portable media players
- Stereo equipment
- VCR players
- Video game consoles
Small household electronics (please remove batteries from all items)
- Blenders (remove glass pitcher)
- Bread makers
- Carpet sweepers
- Coffee makers (remove glass carafe)
- Electrical knives
- Electric toothbrushes
- Food sealing equipment
- Hair dryers
- Holiday lights/cords
- Metal tools (drills, screwdrivers, sanders, small saws, etc.)
- Shaving equipment
- Toaster ovens
- Vacuum cleaners (no bags)