Libraries Parks

Green Guide

Light Bulbs

Garbage  Place incandescent and LED light bulbs in the garbage.  

Hazardous Waste 

Fluorescent bulbs contain mercury which can harm health and the environment if not disposed of properly.

Do not place in the garbage or in your home recycling cart. The following Dakota County locations accept fluorescent bulbs from households for free unless otherwise noted. 

light-bulbs.jpgAll fluorescent light bulbs (compact fluorescent light bulbs, linear tubes, U-shaped, circular) 

The Recycling Zone
3365 Dodd Rd.
Eagan, MN

Ace Hardware
Locations in Dakota County that accept linear tubes and compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) are Apple Valley, Burnsville, Eagan, Farmington, Inver Grove Heights, and Lakeville. The Hastings and Rosemount Ace Hardware stores do not accept fluorescent bulbs to recycle.
Fees apply.

Batteries Plus
Locations in Dakota County are Apple Valley and Eagan.
Fees may apply. Please contact your local store for details.

JR’s Appliance Depot
10619 Courthouse Blvd
Inver Grove Heights, MN 55077
(651) 454-9215
Fees apply.

Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) only
Call first for drop-off hours.

Apple Valley Central Maintenance Facility
6442 140th St W
Apple Valley, MN 55124

Burnsville City Hall
100 Civic Center Parkway
Burnsville, MN 55337

Burnsville Maintenance Facility                                    
13713 Frontier Court                                                         
Burnsville, MN 55337

Eagan Community Center
1501 Central Parkway
Eagan MN 55121

Farmington City Hall
430 Third St.
Farmington, MN 55024

Farmington Rambling River Center
325 Oak St.
Farmington, MN 55024

Farmington Maintenance Facility
19650 Municipal Dr.
Farmington, MN 55024

Hastings City Hall
101 4th Street E
Hastings, MN 55033

Rosemount Community Center
Parks and Recreation office
13885 South Robert Trail
Rosemount, MN 55068
(651) 322-6000

Home Depot
Locations in Dakota County are Apple Valley, Burnsville, Eagan and Inver Grove Heights.

Lowe’s Home Improvement
1795 Robert St.
West St Paul, MN 55118

If you break a fluorescent bulb in your home, follow the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s clean up guidance. Then bring the broken bulb in a sealed container or plastic bag to The Recycling Zone for proper disposal.

Did you know? LED lights use up to 99 percent less energy than standard holiday lights.

Did you know? If every American home replaced just one light with a fluorescent bulb that's earned the ENERGY STAR, we would save enough energy to light 3 million homes for a year.

Information on this page applies to households ONLY. Different rules may apply to businesses in Dakota County.

Last updated: 9/7/2016 9:12 AM