Bring leftover hazardous products to The Recycling Zone for free, environmentally safe recycling and disposal or to one of these community collection events.
One-day community collections
Household hazardous waste is collected at one-day events throughout the year for all Dakota County residents.
Farmington – Saturday, Sept. 8
9 a.m.–1 p.m.
Farmington Maintenance Facility, 19650 Municipal Drive, Farmington
Burnsville – Saturday, Sept. 29
9 a.m.–2 p.m.
Burnsville Maintenance Facility, 13713 Frontier Ct., Burnsville
Materials accepted at all collections
Additional items may be collected by the city at each event.
Household hazardous waste accepted for no charge
- Batteries—auto, single-use and rechargeable
- Driveway sealer
- Fluorescent light bulbs
- Gasoline or other fuels
- Motor oil
- Paint—latex or oil
- Paint thinner
- Propane tanks/gas cylinders
- Thermometers and thermostats
- Weed and insect killers
- Most products labeled dangerous, flammable, combustible, poisonous or corrosive
All electronic items accepted for free from residents except TVs and monitors which have a $10 fee.
- Answering machines
- Cell phones
- Computer equipment (keyboards, mouse, towers, hard drives, modems, etc.)
- Electronic games systems (PlayStation™, Xbox®, Nintendo™, Leap Frog®, VTech®, etc.)
- Fax machines
- iPods®, MP3 and other portable media players
- Monitors ($10 fee per item)
- Stereo equipment
- Televisions—any size ($10 fee per item)
- VCR and DVD players
Small household electronics* accepted
- Blenders (remove glass pitcher)
- Bread makers
- Carpet sweepers
- Coffee makers (remove glass carafe)
- Electrical knives
- Electric toothbrushes
- Food sealing equipment
- Hair dryers
- Metal tools (drills, screwdrivers, sanders, small saws, etc.)
- Shaving equipment
- Toaster ovens
- Vacuum cleaners (no bags)
*Remove batteries from all items and bring to Recycling Zone or collection event.