Week 1: Collect and measure wasted food
Track What you Toss sheet as a guide with your bucket. The goal this week is to get a baseline of how much food your family typically tosses. Don’t use any of your new tools yet.
Weeks 2-4: Try out some tools and tips
Keep collecting your edible food waste like Week 1. Now try out some of the tools you learned about during the training. Also check the
Prevent Food Waste page or
Using your bucket
- Put all your edible food waste into your bucket.
- Each Saturday evening or Sunday morning, record the amount of food in your bucket. If your bucket gets full before the end of the week, add the volume to your tracking sheet and empty it.
- Empty your bucket each week. Your collected food will go wherever you would have normally put it before the Challenge (trash, compost bin, etc.).
Report your totals online each week. This will automatically enter you to win a fun prize worth up to $30.
What to collect
Any food you could have eaten including:
- Leftovers (from home cooking or take-out)
- Spoiled meat
- Stale grains or bread
- Lettuce, fruit, vegetables gone bad
- Spoiled or moldy dairy, yogurt, cheese
Track these liquids by their container volume
Fruit peels and rinds
Coffee or coffee grounds
Tea or teabags
Soda or water
Shells from nuts
Beer, wine, liquor