Nitrogen: MN's Challenge and Opportunity Conference
When: Monday, March 6, registration at 8 a.m., sessions from 9 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
Where: Best Western Plus Kelly Inn, 100 4th Avenue South, St. Cloud, MN
Hosted by the University of Minnesota Extension, The conference will focus on nitrogen management for crop producers and ag professionals. Nitrogen is essential for crop production, but many factors influence the efficient use of this nutrient in agricultural systems. Managing this nutrient effectively in Minnesota is important both for financial and environmental benefits.
To register and find more information, go to z.umn.edu/Nconference.
Who should attend?
Crop producers, agricultural professionals and anyone who appreciates high-quality, research-based information.
Continuing education credits
Certified crop advisors (CCAs) attending the full day from 9 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. will be able to earn seven continuing education credits (CEUs).
Dakota County Crops Day
When: March 18, 2015, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Where: Dakota Electric Association, 4300 220th St W, Farmington, MN
For the ninth year, Crops Day will bring University and agency specialists to Dakota County to share local research results and crop management strategies with producers and other agricultural professionals. Topics include:
- An update from the DNR on irrigation well permitting
- A research update from Joshua Stamper (Extension irrigation specialist) on irrigation management tools and technology
- A research update from Fabian Fernandez (Extension nutrient management specialist) on local on-farm nitrogen management research and in-season nitrogen management strategies
- A research update from Scott Wells (Extension forage and cropping systems specialist) on cover crops for grain and canning crop systems
- An update from Dakota County's "Targeted Townships" nitrate sampling project
- An update from the local USDA-NRCS and Dakota County SWCD
- An update from David Nicolai (Extension Crops Educator) on weed control trends
- An update from Mike Plutowski (Dakota Electric Association) on energy conservation programs
- A trade show
Lunch will be provided. This event is free and open to the public, but pre-registration is requested by Thursday, March 12. The Southeast Irrigators Association Annual Meeting will be held in the same space immediately after the Crops Day.
For more information or to register, contact Neith Little at 651-480-7723 or register at https://umn.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9sNmkXezHgZoiI5.