The Dakota County Public Art citizens Advisory Committee seeks original works of two dimensional art for its sixth Community Art Exhibition. The exhibit is one of the ways the Dakota County Public Art Citizen Advisory Committee is working to make local art more accessible to residents.
Artists looking to display their work can submit digital images of their original two dimensional artworks to be considered for the exhibit. Artists, age 8 and older, are limited to one submission per theme. The theme of the exhibit is “Landscapes of Dakota County.” Entrants must live in Dakota County. Subjects of the art must be from within Dakota County. The submission deadline is July 8, 2016.
The committee will review the submissions and make a recommendation to the County Board. The Dakota County Board of Commissioners will make the final decision on which works of art will be exhibited. The committee includes seven members who have backgrounds in art and have been selected by the Board.
The works of art will be displayed in various Dakota County buildings. The exhibit will last for a total of four months.
Artwork can be submitted to Quinn Doheny by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to Dakota County Public Services & Revenue Division, 1590 Highway 55, Hastings, MN 55033.
Submittals must include a completed Application/Submission Form. All information included on the Application/Submission Form will be classified as public data and will be made available to the public upon request.
Criteria for Selection
- Subject Matter – The theme of this Community Exhibit are “Landscapes of Dakota County”
- Originality – Artwork must be one-of-a-kind or part of an original limited edition.
- Artistic Excellence – Artwork must be of high quality and aesthetic merit.
- Appropriateness to Site – The maximum size of a work of art is 36” X 36”.
- Condition – Artworks must be ready for hanging, with screw eyes and wire attached. Extra wire must be allowed for hanging adjustments. Saw tooth hangers will not be accepted. Paintings must be dry and must be framed unless the edges constitute an integral part of the painting.
- Restrictions – Artwork will be on loan to Dakota County for a period of approximately six months. The artwork will be displayed after the artist and the County have entered into a written agreement regarding the display. Artists will relieve the County for responsibility for any damage to the art.
- Community Values – Artwork may not be obscene and shall be appropriate in terms of local community values.