These are the minimum requirements for accessing internal websites through Dakota County's VPN:
- Dakota County User ID and password
- Personal computer running Microsoft Windows 10
- Web browser
- High-speed Internet connection
For more advanced VPN access such as remote desktop, these are the best recommendations for your computer configuration:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 (Microsoft Edge is not supported at this time)
- Java (32-bit version)
- vpn.co.dakota.mn.us entered in Internet Explorer Trusted Sites and Compatibility View Settings
- Firewall Software (e.g., Microsoft Windows' firewall, AVG, Checkpoint, eTrust, Symantec, Trend Micro)
- Antivirus Software (e.g., Microsoft Endpoint Protection, AVG Antivirus, McAfee Antivirus, Trend Micro Antivirus, Symantec/Norton Antivirus)
Personally-owned computers may be uniquely configured, especially if it's one that's used by other members of your family. Third-party programs, computer games, and other applications can seriously affect how your VPN connection functions — or whether it works at all.
Your PC may be set up in a way that causes issues we can't predict or resolve. Dakota County's IT staff provide support for VPN connectivity. However, personally-owned PCs themselves are not supported by Dakota County. As a result, our efforts to troubleshoot VPN connectivity problems may be limited.
If you encounter problems connecting to the Dakota County VPN or have any related questions, feel free to contact the IT Help Desk at email@example.com or 651-438-4346.