Dakota County has teamed with several local pharmacies to offer residents the Pharmacy Discount Drug Card Program that makes prescription drugs more affordable for people without insurance coverage for medications.
It’s free to join
There is no cost to join the program.
Discounts on medications will vary, but are likely to be similar to the discounts offered to large employers by insurance companies. If a prescription medication is covered through your health insurance or Medicare Part D, you cannot receive an additional discount through this program.
See a list of participating pharmacies. Pharmacies in Dakota County may join the program at any time. Your pharmacist can email Public Health Intake for more information.
To use the Pharmacy Discount Drug Card Program:
- Download the program brochure or pick up a copy at participating pharmacies or the Administration Center in Hastings, Western Service Center in Apple Valley and the Northern Service Center in West St. Paul. You may also request the brochure by calling the Public Health Department at 651-554-6100.
- Present the program brochure to one of the participating pharmacies. The pharmacy will enroll you in the program and provide the discount. You may receive a card for future prescriptions.
For more help with prescription drugs
- Some pharmacies offer certain generic drugs at commonly prescribed dosages for a low fee—contact individual pharmacies for more information.
- Additional information about free or discounted prescription drug resources, including programs offered by manufacturers, is available from the Minnesota Department of Health.
- To dispose of unwanted prescription drugs, visit the Dakota County Sheriff's Office Prescription Drug Drop-Off page for the list of drop-off sites.