The Eviction Prevention Assistance Program is no longer accepting applications. Administrators will continue to review assistance requests that have been submitted by Dec. 7, 2020 deadline.
Help is available for qualified Dakota County renters who are unable to pay rent and utility costs due to COVID-19 related income loss through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act. This assistance may be used to pay current and past due rent and utilities including gas, electric and water.
Although there has been a temporary hold on evictions, rent is still due and landlords may evict tenants with past due rent after state and federal restrictions on eviction filings are lifted.
Details are also available in
Somali and Hmong.
Information for renters
The following criteria is used to determine eligibility for CARES eviction prevention assistance:
- Dakota County resident
- Household experienced a loss of income due to COVID-19 that is impacting housing stability, including employment loss or delay between March 18, 2020 to present, or reduced employment hours between March 18, 2020 and present
- Resident demonstrates an inability to pay
- Landlord/utility/agency confirmation of funds due
- Funds are only available to households whose gross income is below 300 percent of federal poverty guidelines.
Assistance can be provided regardless of immigration status.
CARES Eviction Prevention Program Frequently Asked Questions (Spanish and
Gather the following documentation to submit with your application:
- Proof of job loss, furlough or lay off
- Verification of current income (pay stubs, proof of unemployment, child support, social security, benefits letter, etc.)
- Proof of balance owed for rent and utility bill
- Who the check should be made to and where payment should be sent (name of landlord, property management company, or utility company)
- Copy of signed lease agreement
- Further information or verification may be requested
Currently, we are not accepting applications.
Call for more information
You may also call United Way 211 (toll free at 1-800-543-7709, local at 651.291.0211) or text “MNRENT" to 898-211 to learn more. The 211 helpline has dedicated multilingual staff available to answer questions about the COVID-19 Housing Assistance Program, 8 a.m.–8 p.m. Monday–Friday.
All Dakota County CARES Eviction Prevention Applicants may voice a grievance or recommend changes in policies or services without fear of restraint, interference, coercion, discrimination or reprisal.
Appeal Policy - Spanish
Appeal Policy - Somali
Cares Eviction Prevention Program
1 Mendota Road W
West St. Paul, MN 55118
Find information about other assistance during the COVID-19 pandemic.