Dakota County is partnering with the City of Eagan and Independent School District 196 to address safety and mobility needs for travelers along Diffley Road from Lexington Avenue to Braddock Trail, including Northview Elementary, Dakota Hills Middle School and Eagan High School sites and nearby neighborhood connections. Objectives are to develop short- and long-term improvements to address challenges for this area.
Key project objectives
- Increase pedestrian safety and connections
- Increase awareness of the school area
- Provide safe facilities
- Lower vehicle speeds
- Reduce pedestrian and vehicle conflict points
- Reduce congestion and improve circulation
Reaching the Preferred Layout
Letter from Brown County
Proposed project concept
The proposed project concept for the Diffley Road (County Road 30) School Area consists of four main elements:
- Braddock Trail and school entrance intersection modifications
- School parking lot drop-off and circulation modifications
- A new access roadway from the south parking lot to County Road 30 at Daniel Drive
- Diffley Road, County Road 30 improvements including:
- Lane reduction to a two-lane divided section from east of Lexington Avenue to about 2,000 feet east of Braddock Trail
- New roundabouts along Diffley Road at Daniel Drive and Braddock Trail
- Elimination of the eastbound left turn lane into Northview Elementary School's westerly driveway and addition of a pedestrian median refuge adjacent to this driveway
- Corridor lighting
Proposed Project Concept
Following the online public engagement, city, county and school boards will meet to consider the adoption of the proposed project concept and allow staff to move forward with design. Construction would start in 2021, provided bonding money is granted.
Upcoming meeting schedules
Walking Tours: May 20-29, 2020
Diffley Road Walking Tours Summary
Virtual Public Meeting: April 24–May 11, 2020
Virtual Public Meeting Comments Summary (April 24-May 11)
Diffley Road Public Comments and Responses (Feb. 27)Traffic Analysis SummaryFeb. 27 Meeting Presentation
Diffley Road Roundabout Information
Bonding request update
Dakota County, City of Eagan and ISD 196 passed action to request $4.62 million in state funds for construction of safety improvements on Diffley Road, Braddock Trail and the campuses of Northview Elementary School, Dakota Hills Middle School and Eagan High School.
Complete a project feedback form
High school meeting - Wednesday, March 11
High school students and staff viewed project information at Eagan High School. The information presented included layouts and information shared at the public meetings in December and February.
See high school meeting summary.
Public information meeting - Thursday, Feb. 27
Open House Flyer
The project team reviewed input from the December public information meetings and evaluated data to develop improvement options.
See the Feb. 27 meeting summary.
The meeting included:
A presentation was shared
- Following the presentation, meeting attendees viewed project information at several stations and spoke with project team members.
Feb. 27 meeting materials
Project Layouts: Includes potential sidewalk improvements along Daniel Drive and Braddock Trail, which were not part of the draft layouts shown at the Feb. 27 meeting.
Project Alternatives (Traffic Distribution Figures - updated May 2020)
Roundabouts and Traffic Signals
Improvements made so far
- A 30 mph speed limit was implemented during school arrival and dismissal times.
- Eagan Police has increased its presence to enforce speeding and intersection violations.
- Flashing beacons and a “when flashing" plaque were installed. The flashing operation tells motorists when school students are arriving and leaving school. This change allows Eagan Police to fully enforce the school speed limit during arrival and dismissal times.
- Adult crossing guards were put in place at the Diffley Road and Braddock Trail signal to increase safety.
- Dynamic signs were installed to tell motorist the speed they are traveling.
Potential improvement recommendations will be shared at the upcoming open house on Feb. 27, 2020.
Public open houses - Dec. 11, 2019 or Dec. 16, 2019
Open houses took place Wednesday. Dec. 11 and Monday, Dec. 16 at the Eagan Community Center. The same content was shared at each open house.
Open House SummaryImprovement Option Matrix
Open House Flyer
Open House Guide
Existing Conditions Display Boards
Short Term Display Boards
Long Term Display Boards
Overview Display Boards
You can email comments to
Dakota County, in partnership with the City of Eagan and Independent School District 196, are creating a reduced school speed limit.
Action taken to set school zone speed limit on Diffley Road - Tuesday, Nov. 26, 2019
Initial project scope
Dakota County initially partnered with the City of Eagan to develop an intersection improvement project on County Road 30 (Diffley Road) at Braddock Trail. The City of Eagan was the lead on this project. The county and city held two open houses to discuss the project and gain input from residents. Based on feedback from the public open house meetings on Feb. 11, 2019 and Nov. 28, 2019, the initial project anticipated for 2019 did not move forward. Rather, several initiatives are occurring:
City of Eagan Bike & Pedestrian Plan
Initiative by city staff to assess safety by bicycle and walking, increase access to community destinations, and promote safety.
Find out more about the plan.
Dakota County School Safety Assessment
County is conducting a proactive assessment of the more than 40 schools adjacent county roads to address safety for students traveling to and from these schools.
Find out more about the School Safety Assessment.
Discussions with ISD 196 staff
City and County staff met with ISD 196 to discuss potential options to improve safety and reduce queueing to and from the school onto Braddock Trail and Diffley Road.
Additional project improvement considerations
Several improvement considerations have been discussed which look to address pedestrian safety and school ingress/egress traffic.
Past neighborhood meetings and open house information
Public open house - Monday, Feb. 11, 2019
Open House Presentation
Open House Summary
Neighborhood meeting - Wednesday, Nov. 28, 2018
Meeting Follow-up Discussion
County Road 30 & Braddock Trail Study Summary