Dakota County is working with the cities of Burnsville, Apple Valley and Rosemount to prepare a long-term vision for County Highway 42. The study will be completed in 2021 and will update the current long-term plans adopted in 1999 and 2007. The study will provide 20-year guidance for managing Highway 42 from the county’s west border in Burnsville to Highway 52 in Rosemount (15 miles).
County Highway 42 is an east-west principal arterial highway in Dakota and Scott counties. It is managed for efficient and safe travel. It provides connections to the regional freeway system while also providing local access to connect people and goods to their destinations, including home, work, school, shopping and more.
Virtual open house – Feb. 23–March 20, 2021
Public input and data collected in the past have identified concerns, including:
- Mobility (limiting congestion)
- Access to local destinations
- Pedestrian, bicyclist, and transit rider accommodations
- Planning for future traffic and needs with growth/development
Together the county and cities will address these issues and develop a plan for the long-term management of County Highway 42.
While in-person meetings are postponed based on public health guidance, we've prepared information and tools to help you learn about the study and get involved. Explore more details and participate by visiting the online open house.
Attend the virtual open house
Neighborhood listening session – March 2, 2021
Live, online meeting with opportunities to shape the future of County Highway 42 through the
Redwood, Keller Lake and Garden View neighborhoods in Apple Valley and Burnsville.
Join either the mid-day session from 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. or evening session from 5:30–6:30 p.m.
Register for the listening session
Get email updates
Sign up for email updates
Study timeline and process
- Through 2020: Share study overview and discuss County Highway 42 safety and mobility issues
- Through Spring 2021: Discuss the long-term vision, including ideas for future improvements
- Summer-Fall 2021: Present and finalize the 2040 Visioning Study with input from Burnsville, Apple Valley, Rosemount and other partners
Highway 42 background documents
1999 County Highway 42 Corridor Study Executive Summary
2007 County Highway 42 Rosemount (Segment 15) Updated Recommendations