Unleash your creative writing skills by entering our Teen Fan Fiction Contest. Submit an original story — 3,000 words or less — featuring your favorite characters or re-imagining part of a book.
Download a Teen Fan Fiction Entry Form.
Writers are encouraged to submit an original piece of fan fiction and a completed submission form anytime from Oct. 1–31. Stories will be judged in the following age categories:
- Teens ages 12–14
- Teens ages 15–18
- Writers must be between the ages of 12–18 and reside in Minnesota.
- Writers are not required to live in Dakota County or have a library card from Dakota County Library.
- Stories must be:
- Original, complete works authored by a single person. Judges will not read additional content in order to gain context to your story, so make sure it has a beginning and an end.
- 3,000 words or fewer in length.
- Written with a general audience in mind.
- Submitted in English or submitted with an English translation.
- One entry per person.
- Stories will not be returned after the contest.
- Stories without entry forms will not be considered for prizes.
- Do not put your name on any page which contains the story.
- Dakota County Library staff and immediate family are not eligible to enter.
Entries may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off at or mailed to any Dakota County Library or South St. Paul Library location by 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 31, 2019.
Winning writers will be contacted at the end of November 2019. Their stories will be published on the Dakota County Library website.
The top three stories in each age category will be awarded prizes. Winning writers must pick up their prizes at their local Dakota County Library within 30 days of notification.
The Fan Fiction Contest is supported by the Dakota County Library Foundation.