As part of the Thompson County Park Master Plan, multiple improvement projects have been scheduled.
These improvement projects will enhance access to Thompson Lake, address needs due to increased use, expand programming and activity options, highlight ongoing restoration efforts, and comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. All projects will incorporate the Dakota County Soil and Water Conservation District's Storm Water Management Low Impact Development Standards.
The 2020–2021 budget for improvement projects is $2,287,916.
See project map.
Thompson County Park Project Design
3D Model of Playground (works best in Chrome)
The projects include:
Linear Plaza – accessibility, gathering, playground, hammocking, sunshades, planting and plaza improvements
Water Access – pier improvements, fishing and access points
Lake Loop Improvements – benches and lighting
Wayfinding – signage
Interpretation – interpretive signage and installations
Areas of park closed April–December 2021
The Thompson County Park improvement project will require some areas of the park to be closed during construction April–December 2021. See map for details.
Construction Closures Map (Spanish)
What's open, what's closed during construction
- Thompson Park Center, including the Dakota Lodge, Thompson Park Activity Center and Majestic Oak outdoor ceremony site will remain open for use and reservations.
- The North Picnic Shelter will remain open for drop-in use only, no reservations accepted .
- The fishing pier and playground will be closed to the public.
- The southern parking lot (next to the Thompson Park Center) will remain open.
- Half of the northern parking lot (next to the North Picnic Shelter) will be closed during construction.
- Trails within the construction zone will be closed. All other trails will remain open. A chain-link fence is in place around the construction zone. Please reference the Construction Closures Map.
Aug. 5–12, 2020: Open House #1: Project Awareness
Oct. 28–Nov. 4, 2020: Open House #2: Project Concepts
April 2021: Anticipated start of construction
May 10–14: Closure fencing placed, playground removed
May-December 2021: Construction
For questions, contact Josh Kinney at 952-891-7016 or email@example.com.