As part of the Thompson County Park Master Plan, multiple improvement projects have been scheduled.
These improvement projects will enhance access to Thompson Lake, address needs due to increased use, expand programming and activity options, highlight ongoing restoration efforts, and comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. All projects will incorporate the Dakota County Soil and Water Conservation District's Storm Water Management Low Impact Development Standards.
The 2020–2021 budget for improvement projects is $2,287,916.
See project map.
Thompson County Park Project Design
3D Model of Playground (works best in Chrome)
The projects include:
Linear Plaza – improvements to accessibility, enhanced gathering and picnic spaces, new playground, plantings and plaza improvements
Water Access – new dock on the west side of the lake, fishing and improved shoreline access points
Lake Loop Improvements – benches and lighting
Wayfinding – signage
Interpretation – interpretive signage and installations
Areas of park closed June–December 2021
The Thompson County Park improvement project will require some areas of the park to be closed during construction from about June–December 2021. See map for details.
Construction Closures Map (Spanish)
What's open, what's closed during construction
- Thompson Park Center, including the Dakota Lodge, Thompson Park Activity Center and Majestic Oak outdoor ceremony site will remain open for use and reservations.
- The North Picnic Shelter will remain open for drop-in use only, no reservations accepted .
- The fishing pier and playground will be closed to the public.
- The southern parking lot (next to the Thompson Park Center) will remain open.
- Half of the northern parking lot (next to the North Picnic Shelter) will be closed during construction.
- Trails within the construction zone will be closed. All other trails will remain open. A chain-link fence is in place around the construction zone. Please reference the Construction Closures Map.
May 17, 2021: Existing playground removed.
June- September 2021: Construction. Grading, trail work, playground installation, trail loop gathering areas installed.
Sept. 13-17, 2021: Thompson Park Center parking improvements (paving, sidewalk addition). Access to the Thompson Park Center will be limited. Follow posted road and trail closures and look for flagging staff during construction.
October 2021: Irrigation installation, trail paving work, irrigation line installation, seeding, landscaping.
November-December 2021: Finishing work if needed.
Jan. 1, 2022: Project complete. Unique bench installation and picnic tables will be added by spring 2022.
For questions, contact Joe Lexa at 952-797-9138 or firstname.lastname@example.org.