Haiku, free verse, odes and sonnets — no matter what poetry style, you’re invited to pen your best poem and enter it into our annual poetry contest this April. Poets of all ages are encouraged to submit original poems with entry forms from April 1–30.
Poems were judged in the following age groups:
- Children age 6–8
- Children age 9–11
- Teens age 12–14
- Teens age 15–18
- Adults age 19 and older
- Poems must be your original work.
- Only one entry per person.
- The poem length should be no longer than two pages.
- The poem should be authored by a single person.
- Poems should be written with a general audience in mind.
- Poems will not be returned to the entrant after the contest.
- Poems without entry forms will not be considered for prizes.
- Poets are not required to live in Dakota County.
- Poets do not have to have a library card at the Dakota County Library.
- Do not put your name on the page which contains the poem.
- Staff and immediate family members of Dakota County Library staff are not eligible to apply.
Poems and entry forms may be emailed with the subject line "Poetry Contest" to email@example.com, or dropped off or mailed to any Dakota County Library location by 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, April 30, 2019. Heritage Library is closed for remodeling.
Winning poets will be announced in May, and their poems will be published on the Dakota County Library website. The top three poems in each age category will be awarded prizes. Winning poets must pick up their prizes at their local Dakota County Library within 30 days of notification.
The Poetry Contest is supported by the Dakota County Library Foundation.
Poetry Content Entry Form
See the 2018 Poetry Contest Winners.