National Poetry Month is the largest literary celebration in the world. Read or write poems this month. Haiku, free verse, odes and sonnets — whatever your poetry style, we invite you to enter our Poetry Contest to showcase your talents.
Poets of all ages are encouraged to submit original poems from April 1–30.
The contest is supported by the Dakota County Library Foundation.
Poems will be judged in the following age groups:
- Children age 6–8
- Children age 9–11
- Teens age 12–14
- Teens age 15–18
- Adults age 19 and older
- Poems must be your original work.
- Only one entry per person.
- The poem length should be no longer than two pages.
- The poem should be authored by a single person.
- Poems should be written with a general audience in mind.
- Poems will not be returned to the entrant after the contest.
- Poems without entry forms will not be considered for prizes.
- Poets are not required to live in Dakota County.
- Poets do not have to have a library card at the Dakota County Library.
- Do not put your name on the page which contains the poem.
- Staff and immediate family members of Dakota County Library staff are not eligible to apply.
- Poems should be submitted in English, or be submitted along with English translation.
Complete a Poetry Content Entry Form or pick up an entry form at any Dakota County library location. Submit entries by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or at any Dakota County Library or South St. Paul Library through 11:59 p.m. on Monday, April 30.
- Winning poets will be announced in May.
- The top three poems in each age category will be awarded prizes.
- The winning poets must pick up their prizes at their local Dakota County Library within 30 days of notification.
- Winning poems will be published on the Dakota County Library website.
- The Poetry Contest is supported by the Dakota County Library Foundation.