National Poetry Month is the largest literary celebration in the world. Read or write poems this month. Haiku, free verse, odes and sonnets — whatever your poetry style, we invite you to enter our Poetry Contest to showcase your talents.
Poets of all ages are encouraged to submit original poems from April 1–30. Poems will be judged in the following age groups:
- Children age 6–8
- Children age 9–11
- Teens age 12–14
- Teens age 15–18
- Adults age 19 and older
- Poems must be your original work.
- The poet can enter only once.
- The poem should be authored by a single person.
- Do not put your name on the page which contains the poem.
- You may submit one poem of no more than two pages.
- No offensive or derogatory language.
- Poems/raps will not be returned to the entrant after the contest.
- Poems without entry forms will not be considered for prizes.
- The poet does not have to live in Dakota County.
- Poets do not have to have a library card at the Dakota County Library.
- Staff and immediate family members of Dakota County Library staff are not eligible to apply.
- Complete an entry form online or pick one up any Dakota County Library location.
- Submit entries by email to email@example.com or at any Dakota County Library or South St. Paul Library anytime from Wednesday, April 1 to midnight on Thursday, April 30.
- Contest winners will be announced in mid-May.
- The top three poems will be awarded prizes in each age category.
- The winning poets may pick up prizes at their local Dakota County Library.
- Winning poems will be published on the Dakota County Library website.