As Dakota County's demographics, technology and community needs continue change, the Dakota County Library created a plan to set direction and identify priorities. See the development of the 2017-2022 Library Strategic Plan.
Dakota County Library acts as a catalyst, connector, and partner to empower residents to build a successful community.
Dakota County Library cultivates community, creativity and learning.
We provide positive and welcoming experiences.
We act inclusively, valuing and respecting differences.
We are knowledgeable, engaged and culturally aware.
We value free and open access to information.
community talent and technology.
Our Goals and Strategies |
1. Engage customers in experiences which support growth and learning.
- Grow beyond the walls of the library, via services jointly promoted with community partners.
- Develop outcomes and use to evaluate and prioritize library services.
- Purposely select and coordinate events and classes for diverse target audiences to support strategic goals.
- Develop sustainable partnerships.
2. Deliver relevant and accessible
- Balance electronic and print
collections to meet evolving
- Provide educational resources for literacy and lifelong learning.
- Offer job and career resources to support workforce development.
- Provide access to multi-lingual collections.
- Explore non-traditional collections.
3. Provide responsibly designed innovative spaces and technologies to enhance access to information, knowledge and services.
- Foster the innovative use of library technology to improve
efficiency and service delivery.
- Provide new tools, technologies, software and techniques that tap into and unleash the imagination and creativity in the community.
- Expand opportunities for the community to use the library as a place to meet, interact with and offer services to others.
4. Achieve greater community
awareness of the value of the Library.
- Develop and conduct a targeted marketing campaign in collaboration with the County.
- Employ traditional and new media approaches to reach people through a variety of methods.
- Collaborate and leverage local advocacy groups to communicate the story.
- Update branding initiatives based on who we are.
5. Cultivate an innovative, flexible,
adaptive culture that invites
community access and participation.
- Provide a consistent level of service across all branches; allow branches the flexibility to tailor services to local needs.
- Optimize the staffing and hours of operation at all locations.
- Review, update, revise, or adopt guidelines and procedures that maximize the use of services.
6. Staff have the ability, leadership, and mentoring skills needed to help the community and each other succeed in a rapidly changing world.
- Develop and recruit library staff for evolving roles.
- Provide educational opportunities for staff at all levels.
- Develop customer experience competencies.
- Empower staff to act and make decisions within their sphere of