Dakota County Library offers text notification and renewal services provided by Shoutbomb Inc. Receive notices for:
- Holds: Items are ready to be picked up.
- Renew: Items will be due soon, renew at this time.
- Overdue: Items due date has now passed.
- Fees: Fines are owed.
- Announcements: Library broadcast, closure, etc.
To sign up, you’ll need:
- A mobile phone with text messaging capability
- Text messaging service (check your cell phone service plan)
- Your phone must be able to send a text message to an email address
- Your library card and PIN number
Instructions to sign up
- Create a new contact (e.g. DCL Text Notification) on your phone and enter the email address email@example.com in the new contact setup.
- Text the keyword SIGNUP+yourlibrarycard+PIN (e.g. SIGNUP+22087001234567+1234) to: firstname.lastname@example.org (To receive your messages in Spanish, use REGISTRESE instead of SIGNUP.)
- Start using the service.
Notifications are on by default. Text NOTICES to view notification types that are on. Text the keyword of the notification to turn it off.
Texts will be sent only when activity on your account triggers a message or when the library sends a critical message and will be sent between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m.
The library doesn’t charge a fee for this service, but your cellphone plan’s regular text messaging rate still applies.
Other Commands (Non-case sensitive)
Text these keywords to email@example.com to manage your account.
TEST: Test your connection to the service.
MYCARDS: List of the barcodes currently registered to your phone.
HELP: Get help with a command. E.g., type HELP FEES to get help with that command.
MYBOOKS: Inquire about the status of all of your library items.
IOWEU: Get a list of fines and fees.
HL: Get a list of holds that are ready to pick up.
OA: The service will attempt to renew all overdue items and will reply with a list of items that were successfully and unsuccessfully renewed.
OL: Generates a numbered list of all overdue items eligible for renewal.
RA: Renew all eligible items.
RI: Get a list of items that are coming due and that cannot be renewed.
RL: Generates a numbered list of renewable items.
ADDEMAIL: Change email on your account. (e.g. ADDEMAIL+emailaddress).
ADDCARD: Link any number of secondary cards to your phone. (e.g. ADDCARD+yourlibrarycard+pin).
DROPCARD: Remove any secondary cards linked to your phone.
SWITCHPHONE: Use if you get a new phone number or provider.
RESEND: Receive message (s) from the last 3 days on record.
STOP: Immediately remove your number from the text service, no questions asked.
QUIT: Longer way to quit the service. You will be prompted to enter the library# and will receive a message confirming your request.
NF: (Stop fee notices). This keyword acts like an “Off” switch.
YF: (Continue fee notices). This keyword acts like an “On” switch.
NEWPASS: (e.g. NEWPASS+yourlibrarycard+pin). If you changed your library card pin number, then text this keyword with your new pin to update your Shoutbomb account.