Dakota County is building a new 16,000-square-foot county library at the corner of Marie Avenue and 7th Avenue in South St. Paul.
For about a century, the City of South St. Paul operated its own library. Because of cost increases to operate and maintain the site at 106 Third St., the city asked Dakota County to add the location into the county system. After studying the specific needs of the South St. Paul community and a cost analysis, the Dakota County Board of Commissioners approved the project. Design efforts and the merger of the city's library into the county library system is underway.
BKV Group Architects designed the building.
The existing building will be repurposed by the City of South St. Paul.
Go to the South St. Paul Library project site for more information
Construction update – January 2023
The new South St. Library is beginning to take form. Much has changed to the site since work began in late September. Donlar Construction did the following work in 2022:
- Site construction stormwater protection measures were installed, and a perimeter site fence was installed.
- Site clearing and excavating and the demolition of the existing remaining foundations and wall was completed.
- Excavation and installation of concrete foundations was completed. This included waterproofing, insulating and backfilling the foundations and installing stormwater treatment structures.
- Concrete masonry walls are roughly one-third complete.
- Structural framing materials began to arrive on site and the first beams and lintels were placed.
In the next three months the building's exterior block walls will finish up, and the roof structure will begin to take form. After that, the roofing material and exterior brick work will begin.
Keep checking this page for future updates.
Tentative project timeline
September–October 2021: Concept Design – Public and stakeholders asked to offer input
October–December 2021: Schematic Design – Library plans created based on input
Jan. 11, 2022: Design approved by Dakota County Board of Commissioners
June 2022: Design complete
Late summer 2022: Bidding for construction project
September 2022: Contractor approved
Fall 2022: Construction begins
Quarter 1 - 2024: Library opens
You can find more information on the South St. Paul Library project website or contact Dakota County's project manager at