Current term expires 2014
Served as County Attorney since 1987
For questions about electronic service of documents, please call the County Attorney's Office.
James C. Backstrom is the 23rd Dakota County Attorney. He was elected in 1987 by the citizens of Dakota County. As Dakota County Attorney, Backstrom leads the County Attorney’s Office whose duties include:
- Prosecuting adult felony crimes that occur within the county
- Prosecuting all cases involving juveniles
- Providing assistance to victims and witnesses
- Providing legal counsel to the County Board of Commissioners and County departments
- Initiating legal actions to protect abused and neglected children, and vulnerable adults, and to provide child support enforcement and more
- Providing crime prevention initiatives
To learn more about the functions of the Dakota County Attorney's Office, see the Your County Attorney at Work brochure.