Opt Outside — our annual open house-style, free family event — returns on Black Friday, Nov. 25, 2022 at Lebanon Hills Regional Park.
We are Water
Stop by the Lebanon Hills Visitor Center from 10 a.m.–4 p.m. to stroll along the activity trail or use your GPS or phone app to search for themed geocaches. For older adventurers, take on our annual medallion hunt. This year, the event is part of the We are Water MN Exhibit at Dakota County, a Minnesota Legacy program.
When you arrive, head to the Visitor Center and look for the event information station. Each station includes signs with activity instruction information and take-along guides.
- Water is Life Activity Trail: Explore the activity trail and investigate how critters (and other lifeforms) depend on water in interesting ways. The littlest kids will love this stroller-friendly scavenger hunt, searching for critters along a paved trail. All ages (especially fun for ages 6 and younger).
- Protecting our Waters Geocaching: Search for our multi-cache and become a water saver superhero as you explore how you can help protect water quality. All ages (especially fun for ages 5 and older). Participants must provide their own smartphone with geocaching app or GPS unit for geocaching activity.
- Medallion Hunt: Solve clever riddles in our medallion hunt to find the “medallion" hidden somewhere in the park. All ages (especially for ages 10 and older). Riddles will be posted on Facebook, on the Opt Outside event page Nov. 24-25. Riddles will be posted at 8 a.m. and noon on Thursday, Nov. 24 and noon on Friday, Nov. 25.
Medallion finders must post a selfie near the location of the find to the Dakota County Parks - forever wild Facebook page and call the Lebanon Hills Visitor Center at 651-554-6530 to report their find. A fantastic prize package goes to the winner.
New this year
- We are Water Exhibit: Checkout the outdoor We Are Water exhibit on the patio at the Visitor Center. It includes personal stories from Dakota County residents, historical events and scientific information such as conservation, water usage and pollution prevention. The exhibit aims to strengthen visitors' relationship with water, share new perspectives, and increase awareness and participation in water protection activities.
- We are Water Take – Home Activities: Bring the fun (and learning) home with take home activities provided by Environmental Resources.
- We are Water Protectors Story Trail: Take a stroll and read We Are Water Protectors from giant picture book pages displayed in the park. The book is a 2021 Caldecott Medal winner and New York Times bestselling picture book about the importance of safeguarding the Earth's water. Written by Anishinaabe and Metis author Carole Lindstrom and illustrated by Michaela Goade, member of the Tlingit and Haida tribes.
Friday, Nov. 25, 2022; 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
The Brick Oven Bus food truck will be parked at the Lebanon Hills Visitor Center on Nov. 25 from 10 a.m.-4 p.m.