The Northern Service Center houses 12 County departments and one state department, with more than 600 employees to serve County residents.
This building was designed and built for long-term occupancy, stressing durability, low maintenance and energy efficiency. The Northern Service Center saves thousands of dollars in energy costs monthly.
Sustainable features of the Northern Service Center
- Recycled glass in atrium's Terrazzo floor, reusing resources.
- Two-foot recycled-content carpet squares, requiring replacement only where necessary, saving maintenance costs.
- Window placement and indirect lighting, preventing worker eye strain, increasing worker productivity, and saving energy.
- Light sensors turn off lights when rooms are vacated, saving energy and turns on lights when motion-activated, providing the extra bonus of increased security.
- No VOC adhesives and paint - IAQ, improving air quality.
- Recycled bituminous paving, reusing resources and saving energy.
- Day lighting in office areas, saving energy.
- Hydronic perimeter heat, saving energy.
The Northern Service Center received an EPA Energy Star rating of 97 out of 100 in 2009, establishing it as in the top 3 percent of energy efficient buildings when compared to the Energy Star model for similar buildings.