Dakota County Library welcomes customers and encourages use of Library services and resources. The Library desires to maintain a safe environment for customers in accordance with its mission statement to cultivate community, creativity and learning. Therefore, Dakota County Library has adopted the following policies and procedures.
- Possession, use or consumption of alcoholic beverages, or illegal drugs is prohibited at all times in County library facilities.
- Use of tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, is not allowed within the library.
- Eating is allowed in designated areas of the library only. Beverages with lids are allowed inside the library.
- Children under the age of 8 must be accompanied in the library by a responsible caregiver age 11 or older. Ultimate responsibility for the behavior and well-being of children using the library rests with the parent/guardian or designated caregiver and not with the library’s personnel.
- Careful use of library materials is required. Library furniture and other equipment must be used in the designated places.
- Only service animals are allowed in the library.
- Abusive or harrassing language or behavior is not permitted.
- Running, roller-skating, skateboarding, rollerblading or similar inappropriate activities in the library or on the grounds is not permitted.
- Causing a nuisance as defined in Minnesota Statute 561.01 is prohibited.
- A nuisance is anything that is:
- Harmful to the health of a person, or
- Offensive to the senses of a person, or
- An obstruction to the free and unrestricted use and enjoyment of the library property by other persons.
Violation of the above guidelines may result in a warning, a request to leave the premises, an escort out of the library, and/or notification of the police. Persons violating the above guidelines may have their privileges to use all Dakota County Library facilities and grounds immediately revoked. Repeat offenders or persons ordered from the premises who do not comply may be subject to arrest and prosecution for trespassing. The Dakota County Library System seeks to both protect the rights of individual customers to use the libraries as well as the rights of patrons to safe and positive access to library materials and buildings.
No Trespass Notice
If a person is issued a “No Trespass Notice” by a local police department, in any of the Dakota County libraries, this situation will be reviewed by the Director for possible action to revoke the person's system wide library privileges. If the Library Director determines that countywide suspension of the person’s borrowing privileges and access to Dakota County libraries is warranted, the Library Director will notify the person in writing.
Appeals Process Available to Public for No Trespass Notice
The person may challenge the suspension by submitting a written statement to the Library Advisory Committee. All written appeals must be sent to the Wescott Library at 1340 Wescott Road Eagan MN 55123