Dakota County is updating the Spring Lake Park Reserve Master Plan and creating a new Natural Resources Management Plan for the park.
An updated master plan is needed to ensure that future investment reflects community needs. The master plan will include a long-range vision for the park and a 10-year plan to guide future decisions about park activities, capital investment and natural resource restoration.
The Natural Resources Management Plan will address restoration priorities and provide near-term management recommendations for the natural areas in the park.
Master Plan and Natural Resource Management Plan drafts
The draft plans are available for review and comment through April 4, 2021. Future plans for the park include reintroducing bison, natural resource restoration and management, Mississippi River access, picnic and play opportunities, additional trails, and more.
Draft Spring Lake Park Reserve Master Plan Executive Summary
Draft Natural Resources Management Plan Executive Summary
Will Bison Return to Spring Lake Park Reserve?
Draft Spring Lake Park Reserve Master Plan
Draft Natural Resources Management Plan
Draft Master Plan Appendices
Plan Concept (Spanish)
We want to hear what you think
Please review the summary information or the full plan documents and provide feedback. Your input will be used to refine the draft plans and prioritize future improvements.
Complete a feedback form
Complete a feedback form (Spanish version)
Virtual community open house
A virtual open house was held via Zoom on Tuesday, March 23. Open house recording coming soon.
Forever Wild GooseChase Scavenger Hunt
Have fun in the park while providing input on the park's future March 12-April 4. There are prizes for the top-scoring teams.
How to play:
- Download the free GooseChase app
- The game can be searched by:
- Game code
- X385ZZ (English version)
- L78WQL (Spanish version)
- Forever Wild GooseChase in Spring Lake Park Reserve (English version)
- Busqueda del Tesoro en Spring Lake Park (Spanish version)
- Join the hunt
Contact Dakota County
If you want to discuss other ways you can participate in the planning process contact:
- Lil Leatham, Master Plan Project Manager, at 952-891-7159 or email
- Joe Walton, Natural Resources Management Plan Project Manager, at 952-891-7507
follow Dakota County Parks on Facebook or
sign up for the Parks E-News to be notified of future input opportunities and project updates.
- Research findings and vision: June-December 2019
- Community engagement: September-October 2019
- Concepts: November 2019-May 2020
- Community engagement: May-June 2020
- Plan development: July 2020-January 2021
- Approvals: January 2021-August 2021
- Community engagement: Feb. 17-April 4 2021
Public Engagement Plan
Phase I Community Engagement
Phase II Community Engagement
Spring Lake Park Master Plan Appendices A, B & C
2003 Spring Lake Park Reserve Master Plan