Dakota County has managed deer populations in its parks by using controlled hunts. Controlling deer populations contributes to natural reforestation and reduces damage to agricultural crops and landscaping.
Reducing deer populations also improves the parks’ habitat for other wildlife that benefit from diverse ground and shrub layer plants.
2019 deer hunting options
- Lebanon Hills Regional Park (archery)
- Nov. 4–6, Nov. 11–13, Nov. 18–20; Monday, all day; Tuesday and Wednesday, 5–10 a.m., park closed to the public until noon.
- Orientation meetings are on Oct. 10, 6-7:30 p.m. or Oct. 16, 10–11:30 a.m.
- Spring Lake Park Reserve (archery)
- Due to continued low hunter success and favorable deer counts in Spring Lake Park Reserve, there is no hunt in 2019. Dakota County will continue to closely monitor deer populations in the park and hunts will resume if needed. Any preference points you have accumulated for this hunt will remain on your account and will be available for future hunts in this park.
- Miesville Ravine Park Reserve (shotgun and muzzleloader): Registration for these hunts was through the DNR. If you were selected for these hunts, buy a permit.
- Nov. 9–17, all day for the shotgun hunt (This is during the 3A season)
- Dec. 7–15, all day for the muzzleloader hunt
- Orientation meetings are on Oct. 23, 6-7:30 p.m. or Oct. 30, 10–11:30 a.m.
***If you are selected, you must attend one of the orientation meetings for your hunt.
Changes for 2019
- The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources will be processing registrations for the Miesville Ravine deer hunts. Find out more.
- The Lebanon Hills deer hunt will continue to be processed by Dakota County Parks. Find out more.
2019 deer hunt registration will open Aug. 1 and close Aug. 31. Registration is now closed.
Deer hunt maps
Lebanon Hills Regional Park (Deer hunt map)
Lower Spring Lake Park Reserve (Deer hunt map)
Miesville Ravine Park Reserve (Deer hunt map)
To be eligible for hunting, you must complete an online application, and you must obtain a valid hunting license from the Minnesota DNR prior to the hunt.