The Dakota County Library is committed to providing maximum access to library resources. For this reason, fines and fees are levied when materials are not available to customers because they are overdue, damaged, lost, etc. Significant charges may result in limitations of service. Contact a Dakota County Library for information regarding your charges or check your account status and pay charges more than $5 online.
Library materials not returned or renewed by the due date will be assessed daily overdue fines.
Adult materials (excluding DVDs): 30 cents per item per day including Playaways; maximum of $15.60 per item except for paperbacks and magazines which are a maximum of $9 per item or cover price (whichever is lower).
Children and teen materials (excluding DVDs): 5 cents per item per day; maximum of $4 per item. Magazines and paperbacks are also $4 maximum or cover price (whichever is lower).
DVDs, adult and children: $1 per item per day for the first six months the title is new; maximum of $16.00 per item; older items are $1 per day after the free seven day loan period (see below).
Note: Library service is blocked when unpaid fines/fees reach $25 for adults and $10 for children. Unpaid accounts more than $50 are sent to a collection agency 42 days after the final billing notice is sent.
- Bifolkal Kits Overdue Fee: $1 per day
- Book Group Discussion Kits Overdue Fee: $1 per day
- Collection Agency Fee: $15.50
- Computer Game Overdue Fee: $1 per day
- DVD, Non-Rental: $1 per day overdue (after 7 day free loan period) with max $16 per item
- DVD, Rental: $1 per day overdue with max $16 per item
- DVD, Requestable entertainment: $1 per day overdue with max $16 per item
- Damaged/lost item: Cost of the item (DCL does NOT accept replacement item)
- Energy Monitor Overdue Fee: $1.25 per day
- Fax transmissions: $1 per page sent (available at Burnhaven, Galaxie, Heritage, Pleasant Hill, Wentworth and Wescott )
- Library Card, Lost Library Card Replacement: $2.25
- Library Card, Maximum Liability for Stolen/Lost Library Card: $100
- Non-resident Library Card: $60 (annual fee)
- Photocopies: 15 cents per page; color 50 cents per page
- Print-outs from Library Computers: 15 cents per page; color 50 cents per page
- Returned Check Fee: $30
- Staff-assisted Photocopies of official Dakota County Library documents: 25 cents per page
- Storytime Kits Overdue Fee: $1 per day
- USB storage devices: $6