New in 2024 — no more adult overdue fines.
Starting Jan. 2, Dakota County Library will no longer charge overdue fines on any items — for any age group — returned past their due date.
Removing overdue fines is good for the community. Everyone, no matter their circumstances, should have access to library resources.
How it works
- Individuals will no longer receive a daily overdue fine on items for any age group.
- Individuals who previously were blocked from checking out items can once again use the library.
- Items need to be returned to the library by their due dates.
- Most items overdue by 42 days or more will be considered lost and the replacement cost of the item will be billed to the account. If you return the items, the bill will be cleared from your account.
- Library accounts with charges of $50 or more cannot check out items.
After the success of eliminating youth overdue fees in 2022, the library is also able to eliminate adult overdue fees. Removing youth overdue fines resulted in:
- More children's items being checked out
- More youth getting library cards
- Items being returned at a similar rate.