Wi-Fi (high-speed wireless internet access) is now available at all Dakota County Library locations. This service is available at no cost to library users.
Bring your wireless-enabled laptop computer or other wireless device to the library. When your device is on, it should sense the wireless signal. A message should appear on your screen indicating that a wireless network is available.
Open your Web browser and you will see the Wireless User Agreement displayed. You will need to click on I Agree to begin using the library's wireless internet.
Expanded Wi-Fi access
Bring your own laptop or device and use the library's free Wi-Fi to access the internet. Wi-Fi signals have been expanded to cover the parking lots at all Dakota County Library locations.
Things to remember
- Wireless users agree to abide by the Library's Internet Public Use Policy, which prohibits abusive or illegal activity while using the library's internet service.
- Users bring their own wireless-enabled laptop computer or other wireless device to the library. The library does not check out wireless cards or PDAs.
- Your information is not protected while using wireless, unless you are connected to a web page that employs encryption (stores, banks, etc.).
- Users are responsible for knowing how to configure their own equipment. Check your manual if you can't get your wireless card to work. Since everyone's computer is different, the library will not support equipment configurations. The library cannot be responsible for any changes you make to your computer's settings.
- Bring a fully charged battery. Public electric outlets may not be available.
- Users may not plug equipment into the Library’s computer network.
- Make sure the wireless card is on and enabled.
- Physical ON/OFF switch. Many laptops have a button or switch that enables wireless. Make sure it is ON. -or-
- Function Key or a combination of keyboard keys. -or-
- Enable your wireless connection in your list of network connections
- Make sure your laptop is configure to obtain an IP address automatically.
- For MS Windows, open Control Panel, double-click Network Connections.
- Right-click on the network connection you use to connect to the Internet, then click Properties.
- Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and the Properties button. Select Obtain an IP address automatically.
- Check to make sure you can see the library's wireless network, DC_Library, and connect to it.