Apply for driver's license/ID on Driver & Vehicle Services website
Minnesotans can renew or replace a standard driver's license or ID card on the
Driver & Vehicles Services website.
Apply for a Driver's License or State ID and follow the prompts.
Appointment services during COVID-19
Driver's license renewals and REAL/Enhanced ID applications are available by appointment. Follow these steps:
Pre-apply on the Driver and Vehicle Services website.
- Reserve an appointment online.
Reserve your appointment
Service and license centers are open for walk-ins starting July 13. However, making an appointment is encouraged.
Precautions for staff and visitors
- Dakota County requires both staff AND visitors to wear a mask at the Dakota County facilities. If you do not have a mask, we will provide you with one.
- Keep a distance of at least 6 feet from others.
- If you have had a fever of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher, shortness of breath, muscle aches, sore throat, or a new or increased cough in the last seven days OR if you have had close contact with someone who was diagnosed or suspected to have COVID-19 within the last 14 days, do not visit a county facility for an appointment. If you display these symptoms during your appointment, you will be required to leave the facility.
Renewals and duplicates
Dakota County can issue a renewed or duplicate Minnesota Driver’s License or Identification Card.
Renewals require the applicant to take a vision test and have a photo taken. Proper identification must be present.
Duplicates are issued to replace a lost or stolen valid Driver’s License or Identification Card. They may also be issued for address and name changes.
Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL), REAL ID and first-time ID applications will be accepted during these times:
- Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–3 p.m.
- No Saturdays
Identification requirements for REAL ID are available on the Minnesota Department of Public Safety website.
Renew or duplicate
Renewal: Varies by license class and endorsements
Cash, check, money orders, and credit or debit cards (American Express, Discover, Visa or MasterCard) are accepted at all three locations.
No knowledge or road testing
Dakota County License Centers do not offer knowledge or road testing exams. To schedule an exam appointment, go to the Minnesota Department of Public Safety,
Driver and Vehicle Services website.
Application forms are available at the locations listed above.
Go to the Minnesota Department of Vehicle Services website for
current rules on required identification.