A passport is a document, issued by the U.S. government, which certifies the identity and nationality of its holder. To apply for a first-time passport, applicants must appear in person at one of two county locations; however, there are also special requirements for minor applicants age 15 and younger.
If you have been previously issued a passport, you may qualify for the renewal process. Applicants who have been issued a passport age 15 and younger do not qualify for renewal. See renewal requirements.
Due to processing time, offices will stop taking new passport applications one-half hour before office closing times. Be sure to review the passport hours listed below. To ensure service, you must have forms completed and be at the counter by the times listed.
- Administration Center: Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–4 p.m.
- Western Service Center: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 8 a.m.–4 p.m.; Tuesday, Thursday, 8 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
|U.S. State Department Fee
||Dakota County Fee
||U.S. State Department Fee
||Dakota County Fee|
||Subject to postal rates
||Subject to postal rates|
* U.S. State Department and Dakota County fees must be paid separately.
For U.S. State Department fees: Check or money order only. A separate check or money order is required for each application.
For Dakota County fees: Check, money order or cash only.
Book vs. card
Passport books can be used for internation travel by air, sea or land.
Passport cards allow entry into the U.S. at land border crossings and sea ports – Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. It can't be used for international air travel.
New application requirements
To receive a new passport or replace a lost or damaged passport, you must come in person to one of the two county locations, bringing the following:
- Completed DS-11 Passport Application Form (with black ink)
- Passport fees—each applicant should have separate checks payable to the U.S. Department of State and Dakota County.
- Applicant’s Social Security number
- Proof of citizenship
- Proof of identity
- Passport photo—one 2 inch by 2 inch color photo with a solid white background. Photos available at all locations for a fee.
Checking application status
Passports are processed and issued by the U.S. Department of State. Visit their website for current processing times.
If you have already applied and would like to check the status of your application, call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 or TDD/TTY at 1-888-874-7793 or visit their website at U.S. Department of State.
New travel requirements
For the most recent travel requirements to the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Canada or Mexico, visit U.S. Department of State.