Libraries Parks

Building & Zoning Permits


Environmental Resources

Building & Zoning Permits

​All cities and townships in Dakota County have land use and zoning authority. Building permits are issued by the city or township. Additional County permits are required in townships within designated shoreland and floodplain.

County Ordinance 50 – Shoreland and Floodplain Management  requires permits for any construction, grading, filling, or removal of vegetation on land near public waters of the state and the landward extent of Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) designated floodplain.

City building permits
For property within an incorporated city limit, call the city in which the property is located.

Township building permits
For property in a township, call the township in which the property is located. In addition, call the Dakota County Water Resources Department at 952-891-7000 to determine if the property is within the jurisdictional authority of the County Shoreland Zoning and Floodplain Management Ordinance and if so, if County permits are required.

Determining if land is in floodplain
Please call 952-891-7024 for floodplain determinations, data interpretation and assistance with  completing elevation certificates, Letters of Map Amendments and the County Digital Flood Insurance Rate Maps (DFIRMs).

Permit applications
NewConstructionWithSepticPermit.pdfB1: New Construction with Septic System Permit Application 
B2: Accessory Structure Building Application
Variance Application
Shoreland/Floodplain Alteration Permit Application
Zoning Appeal Application
City of Randolph Septic System Application
Shoreland Septic System Permit Application

Last updated: 7/1/2015 4:18 AM