Applications for Permits to Purchase are accepted at:
Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m. (closed holidays)
* The gun permit window at the Western Service Center in Apple Valley will be closed on Friday, Sept. 4 from 11 a.m.-noon. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Permit to Purchase applicants must be at least 18 years old.
Permit to Purchase applications are processed by the law enforcement agency that provides patrol services where you live. The Dakota County Sheriff's Office processes applicants who reside in the County's 13 townships and five rural cities.
Steps to complete an application
All applications must be submitted in person.
- Complete Minnesota Permit to Purchase Application signed and dated by the applicant. You may complete the application prior to your arrival. Forms are also available at the Gun Permit Counters.
- Provide current driver's license, state identification card or passport.
- Successfully pass the required background check.
- These take up to 7 days to process.
For additional information, visit:
Any questions? Please call 651-438-4743.