Dakota County and the City of West St Paul are constructing roadway, trail and sidewalk improvements. Construction is along Thompson Avenue from Robert Street (Highway 952) to Waterloo Avenue and along Oakdale Avenue from Wentworth Avenue (County Road 8) to Butler Avenue (County Road 4) in West St Paul.
The project includes:
- Replacement of the all-way stop at Thompson Avenue and Oakdale Avenue with a single-lane roundabout
- Restriping Thompson Avenue from a two-lane to a three-lane roadway with a continuous center left turn lane from Robert Street to Highway 52
- Resurfacing of both Thompson Avenue between Robert Street and Highway 52 and Oakdale Avenue between Butler Avenue and Wentworth Avenue
- Construction of sidewalk on the north side and a multi-use trail on the south side along Thompson Avenue and construction of sidewalk on the west side and a multi-use trail on the east side along Oakdale Avenue
- Reconstruction of a connection to the trail system of Thompson County Park as part of the River to River Greenway
Overall project timeline
A tentative, overall construction schedule is as follows:
April 10: Tree clearing and erosion control
April 2023: Curb and pavement removals
May–June 2023: Storm sewer and utility work
June–July 2023: Roadway and roundabout curb and gutter and paving
May–August 2023: Trail and sidewalk construction
August–September 2023: Mill and overlay
September–October 2023: Sod installation and striping
Thompson Avenue and Oakdale Avenue will be closed to thru traffic and the intersection of Thompson and Oakdale avenues will be completely closed. Carrie
Street will also be closed at Emerson Avenue.
- Access to driveways within the project area will be maintained during construction.
- Survey stakes are important for project progress. Please preserve them for the duration of the project.
- Private utility companies have already started relocation work. You can expect to see utility companies working in the project area during spring and summer.
The River to River Greenway is closed between Emerson Avenue and Wentworth Avenue south of Thompson County Park due to the reconstruction of the multi-use trail and placement of a roundabout at the intersection of Thompson and Oakdale avenues. The tentative project schedule is through October 2023. There is currently no detour for this trail segment.
For week of Sept. 18
Carrie Street traffic will enter and exit off Emerson Avenue. Traffic barriers were relocated to the south end of Carrie Street to keep traffic away from the active construction zone on Thompson Avenue. The Thompson Avenue/Oakdale Avenue intersection will continue to be closed to all traffic.
- Concrete work will continue Monday, Sept. 18–Wednesday, Sept. 20 (mostly on Oakdale Avenue).
- Trail and grading work along Oakdale Avenue will also be continuing Monday, Sept. 18–Wednesday, Sept. 20 with trail and driveway paving scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 21 and Friday, Sept. 22.
- Irrigation work in the roundabout center island will occur on Wednesday, Sept. 20.
- Topsoil placement throughout the entire job will be occurring starting Saturday, Sept. 23 and carry through the following week.
Thompson Avenue and Oakdale Avenue Newsletter - Spring 2023
Letter to Oakdale Avenue Residents Group A - July 27, 2023
Letter to Oakdale Avenue Residents Group B - July 27, 2023
Public Works Director & City Engineer