Libraries Parks

Assessing Property

Appeal an Assessment

​If you disagree with your property’s market value, you have the right to appeal the value. To begin the appeal process, follow these steps:

Collect facts to show your case
Show that the market value of your property is wrong by collecting recent appraisals or recent sales of like property.

Contact the Assessor’s Office
You may contact the Assessor’s Office in these ways:

  • Call 651-438-4200 (or 1-800-247-1056 for non-metro).
  • Visit the Assessor's Office at 1590 Highway 55, Hastings, MN during normal business hours.
  • Attend the 'open book meeting' most fitting for you. No appointment is necessary. See a meeting schedule.

Talk to county staff to review your information and talk about your value or classification.

Attend an Appeal Meeting (if issue not resolved)
You may attend the appeal meetings listed on your Notice of Valuation.

If your city or township has a Local Board of Appeal & Equalization, you must start there. See the local board schedule.

If your city or township no longer has a Local Board of Appeal & Equalization, you would go directly to the County’s Special Board of Appeal & Equalization.

Final options (if issue not resolved)
If the dispute is still not resolved, you have two options.

First, you may petition the Minnesota Tax Court. Tax Petitions may be filed after you receive your Notice of Valuation and before April 30 of the year the taxes are payable. Contact the MN Tax Court at 651-296-2806

Or, you may file an abatement. A tax abatement is a formal, written request, made to the County Assessor on a form sent by the MN Dept. of Revenue, to change the market value or classification on a property. For more information on tax abatement

Contact the Assessor’s Office at 651-438-4200 (or 1-800-247-1056 for non-metro) and ask for Policy 8751 – Abatements.

Last updated: 1/21/2014 8:29 AM