Dakota County residents can opt to have property taxes automatically deducted from their bank accounts. Authorization forms must be received 30 days before each due date. April 15 for first half tax collection and Sept. 15 for second half tax collection.
A written request to taxation staff is required to cancel direct payment.
Signing up for direct payment
You will need the following information to apply:
- Routing number for financial institution
- Checking or savings account number
- Property Identification Number(s) – Contact Taxpayer Services at 651-438-4576 if you can't determine the identification number for your property.
- An email account that you review regularly
The county will notify you two weeks before a scheduled account withdrawal using the email address given. Email addresses are used only for communicating direct payment program details.
Do not apply if:
- Your lending institution is paying property taxes through an escrow account. You can confirm the existence of an escrow account by contacting your lending institution or checking for a mortgage code on your annual property tax statement.
- You have a manufactured home.
Complete Direct Payment Authorization Form
Withdrawals from authorized bank accounts occur on the following dates:
- May 15 for the first half of annual property taxes
- Oct. 15 for the second half of annual property taxes
- Nov. 15 for the second half of annual property taxes (qualifying agricultural parcels only)
If the dates fall on a weekend or bank holiday, Dakota County will debit your account on the next business day. Your bank statement acts as proof of payment.
You will receive an automated email that confirms the receipt of your application. If your application is approved, taxation staff will send you a one-time confirmation letter that validates your participation in the direct payment program. Please contact 651-438-4576 if you do not receive the letter at least 10 days before the scheduled withdrawal from your account.
Canceling direct payment
Written notification to Property Taxation & Records Department is required to cancel your authorization or change your banking information. Your cancellation must be received by May 1 to be effective for the first half payment or by Oct. 1 to be effective for the second half payment. To cancel direct payment, fax your completed
Cancellation of Direct Payment Authorization Form to 651-438-4399, email the completed form to
firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail the completed form to:
Dakota County Property Taxation and Records
1590 Highway 55
Hastings, MN 55033
If you have questions, please contact Property Records & Taxation at 651-438-4576.