Calculating market values and property taxes doesn’t happen overnight. The process of collecting open market sales data to determining market values to calculating taxes to actually collecting property taxes takes more than three years from start to finish. See the value and tax timeline.
How the process works for 2019 assessment
- Oct. 1, 2017–Sept. 30, 2018: Data from open market sales of property is collected to form basis of the 2019 assessment.
- Jan. 2, 2019: The assessment date 2019 market value for taxes payable in 2020 is effective.
- March 2019: Assessing Office sends every property owner a Notice of Valuation, explaining the market value of the property as of Jan. 2 for taxes paid in 2020.
- March–May 2019: Residents can appeal the market value.
- November 2019: Proposed Tax Statements for 2020 are sent out.
- March 2020: 2020 Property Tax Statements sent.
- May 2020: First half of property taxes due.
- October 2020: Second half of property taxes due.
For questions about the process, call 651-438-4200.