Calculating market values and property taxes doesn’t happen overnight. The process of collecting open market sales data to determining market values to calculating taxes to actually collecting property taxes takes more than three years from start to finish. See the value and tax timeline.
How the process works for 2017 assessment
- Oct. 1, 2015–Sept. 30, 2016: Data from open market sales of property is collected to form basis of the 2017 assessment.
- Oct. 11, 2016–February 2017: The Assessing Office uses the data to establish the 2017 market value.
- Jan. 2, 2017: The assessment date 2017 market value for taxes payable in 2018 is effective.
- March 2017: Assessing Office sends every property owner a Notice of Valuation, explaining the market value of the property as of Jan. 2 for taxes paid in 2018.
- March–May 2017: Residents can appeal the market value.
- November 2017: Proposed Tax Statements for 2018 are sent out.
- March 2018: 2018 Property Tax Statements sent.
- May 2018: First half of property taxes due.
- October 2018: Second half of property taxes due.
For questions about the process, call 651-438-4200.