Calculating market values and property taxes doesn’t happen overnight. The process of collecting open market sales data to determining market values to calculating taxes to actually collecting property taxes takes more than three years from start to finish. See the value and tax timeline.
How the process works for 2018 assessment
- Oct. 1, 2016–Sept. 30, 2017: Data from open market sales of property is collected to form basis of the 2018 assessment.
- Oct. 11, 2017–February 2018: The Assessing Office uses the data to establish the 2018 market value.
- Jan. 2, 2018: The assessment date 2018 market value for taxes payable in 2019 is effective.
- March 2018: Assessing Office sends every property owner a Notice of Valuation, explaining the market value of the property as of Jan. 2 for taxes paid in 2019.
- March–May 2018: Residents can appeal the market value.
- November 2018: Proposed Tax Statements for 2019 are sent out.
- March 2019: 2019 Property Tax Statements sent.
- May 2019: First half of property taxes due.
- October 2019: Second half of property taxes due.
For questions about the process, call 651-438-4200.