Calculating market values and property taxes doesn’t happen overnight. The process of collecting open market sales data to determining market values to calculating taxes to actually collecting property taxes takes more than three years from start to finish. See the value and tax timeline.
How the process works for 2023 assessment
- Oct. 1, 2021–Sept. 30, 2022: Data from open market sales of property is collected to form basis of the 2023 assessment.
- Jan. 2, 2023: The assessment date 2023 market value for taxes payable in 2024 is effective.
- March 2023: Assessing Office sends every property owner a Notice of Valuation, explaining the market value of the property as of Jan. 2 for taxes paid in 2024.
- March–May 2023: Residents can appeal the market value.
- November 2023: Proposed Tax Statements for 2024 are sent out.
- March 2024: 2024 Property Tax Statements sent.
- May 2024: First half of property taxes due.
- October 2024: Second half of property taxes due.
For questions about the process, call 651-438-4200.