Schedule an appointment
Marriage licenses can be completed by appointment by following these steps:
Complete an online form.
- After receiving the confirmation number, reserve an appointment online.
Reserve your appointment
You may apply for a marriage license in any county in Minnesota regardless of residence or where the ceremony takes place, if you are going to be married within the geographical borders of Minnesota.
After a license is issued, it is valid for six months.
Minnesota Statute 259.13, an applicant who has a felony conviction may not use a different name after marriage.
Service and license centers are open for walk-ins. However, making an appointment is encouraged.
Precautions for staff and visitors
- Dakota County requires both staff AND visitors to wear a mask at the Dakota County facilities. If you do not have a mask, we will provide you with one.
- Keep a distance of at least 6 feet from others.
- If you have had a fever of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher, shortness of breath, muscle aches, sore throat, or a new or increased cough in the last seven days OR if you have had close contact with someone who was diagnosed or suspected to have COVID-19 within the last 14 days, do not visit a county facility for an appointment. If you display these symptoms during your appointment, you will be required to leave the facility.
Marriage license: $115
Reduced price - Marriage license with 12 hours of premarital education and a completed and signed
Statement of Premarital Education: $40
Contact your church for information on premarital education.
Credit card payments
All locations accept Discover, Visa and MasterCard.
You can complete a marriage license application using:
Both parties present to sign
Both parties applying for the marriage license must be present to sign the application and present proof of age to the local registrar.
Accepted forms of proof of age incude:
- An original or certified copy of a birth certificate or birth record
- A driver’s license or other identification card issued by a government entity or school
- A school record, immigration record, naturalization record, court record, or other document or record issued by a government entity that contains the date of birth of a party
If you have completed an online form, you can go to any location to sign it. The application will be available to sign immediately after you send it electronically. Make sure you have your form confirmation number or say that you’ve completed the form online.