To become a notary, you must contact the
Minnesota Secretary of State.
Once you receive your Notary Commission, you must register your signature in your county of residence.
Make an appointment
Reserve your appointment
Drop box available
Paper work can be submitted via drop boxes at each location.
Service and license centers are open for walk-ins starting July 13. However, making an appointment is encouraged.
Precautions for staff and visitors
- Dakota County requires both staff AND visitors to wear a mask at the Dakota County facilities. If you do not have a mask, we will provide you with one.
- Keep a distance of at least 6 feet from others.
- If you have had a fever of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher, shortness of breath, muscle aches, sore throat, or a new or increased cough in the last seven days OR if you have had close contact with someone who was diagnosed or suspected to have COVID-19 within the last 14 days, do not visit a county facility for an appointment. If you display these symptoms during your appointment, you will be required to leave the facility.
$20, payable by cash or check only. Make checks payable to: Dakota County.
Register in person
To register in person, go to any of the three locations. Bring the necessary fees, a current driver’s license and the Notary Commission certificate.
Register by mail
You must send:
- Your signed and notarized notary commission certificate. The commission certificate must include two signatures, one exactly as the name shows on the commission certificate and one as you normally would sign.
- A photocopy of the front of your driver’s license or identification card. The address must match your commission address.
- A check or money order payable to Dakota County for $20 to record your notary commission.
Send these items to:
Dakota County Administration Center
Attn: Vital Statistics
1590 Highway 55
Hastings MN 55033-2343
After your commission is recorded, your Notary Commission certificate will be returned to you by mail.