Beginning May 20, residents can bring the following materials to The Recycling Zone during open hours for free unless otherwise noted.
Check the Green Guide
Can’t find what you need? Use the
Dakota County Green Guide.
When you visit
- Remain in your vehicle at all times.
- Wear a face mask if available to you.
- Have your ID ready. Staff will need to scan the barcode on the back of your license.
- Have a credit card or exact change ready for fees on TVs, monitors and tires (see below for pricing). All other items are accepted for free.
- All items except sharps must be in the trunk or very back of the vehicle to be unloaded by staff.
- Keep your sharps container near you in the front seat. You will be required to put the container into a large sharps bin while staying in your car.
- Keep bulbs and thermometers separate from batteries.
- Use sturdy, non-leaking, tightly-closed containers for chemicals. Do not use garbage bags.
- Keep chemicals and liquids in original, labeled containers when possible — label materials not in their original container if you are sure of contents. Do not mix products together.
- Gas cans and oil containers you would like returned will be tagged with a unique ticket number, and you will need to come back the following week day with your ticket stub to pick up after it has been emptied.
Household chemicals and hazardous waste accepted
- Auto batteries
- Batteries (all rechargeable, single-use, and button cell)
- Bug killer
- Fire extinguishers
- Fluorescent light bulbs
- Home sharps (needles, syringes, lancets)*
- Household cleaners
- Lawn and garden products
- Mercury thermometers
- Pool and spa chemicals
- Propane and helium tanks/gas cylinders
- Used oil/filters
- Weed killer
- Most products labeled dangerous, flammable, poison, combustible or corrosive
*Place sharps into a rigid container such as plastic laundry detergent bottle with the lid taped shut and label the container "Do not recycle: household sharps."
- Answering machines
- Copiers (desktop only)
- Computer equipment (keyboards, mouse, towers, hard drives, modems, etc.)
- DVD players
- Electronic games systems (Wii™, PlayStation™, Xbox®, Nintendo DS™, Leap Frog®, VTech®, etc.)
- Fax machines
- iPods®, MP3 and other portable media players
- Monitors ($10 each)
- Computer terminals/hard drives
- Printers (desktop only)
- Scanners (desktop only)
- Stereo equipment
- Telephones (including cell phones and smart phones)
- Televisions ($10 each)
- VCR players
Small household electronics accepted
Remove batteries from all items and bring in a separate bag or container.
- Blenders (remove glass pitcher)
- Bread makers
- Carpet sweepers
- Coffee makers (remove glass carafe)
- Electric knives
- Electric toothbrushes
- Food sealing equipment
- Hair dryers
- Metal tools (drills, screwdrivers, sanders, small saws, etc.)
- Portable fans
- Shaving equipment
- Small Heaters
- Toaster ovens
- Vacuum cleaners (remove bags)
651-905-4520 to arrange for loads larger than would fit in the bed of a pick-up truck.
- Aluminum foil (clean)
- Cartons (milk, juice boxes, soup, broth, wine)
- Cooking oil
- Books (hard and soft cover)
- Boxes (cake mixes, cereal, toothpaste, pasta and other dry goods)
- Glass bottles and jars
- Holiday lights and cords
- Lawn mowers
- Magazines and catalogs
- Metal cans
- Office and school papers
- Bottles and jugs
- Yogurt, pudding and fruit cups
- Margarine, cottage cheese and other plastic tubs
- Produce, deli and take-out containers
- Shampoo, soap and lotion bottles
- Dishwashing liquid bottles and detergent jugs
- Phone books
- Printer cartridges (inkjet only)
- Scrap metal
- Shredded paper (in a closed paper bag)
- Snow blowers
- 15” or smaller: $5 each
- 16-17”: $6 each
- 18-19”: $7 each
- 20-22”: $8
- Tire on rim: add $1 each to price above
Green Guide to find out how to get rid of these items.
- Asbestos-containing materials
- Empty containers that held hazardous products
- Medical equipment
- Medical waste
- Microwavable food trays
- Packing peanuts
- Plastic bags
- Plastic plant pots
- Radioactive materials
- Water heaters
- Water softeners