The Very Small Quantity Generator (VSQG) program helps businesses that produce smaller amounts of hazardous waste such as solvents, paints, used oil and fuels.
You are able to participate if your business:
- Produces less than 220 pounds or about 22 gallons per month of hazardous wastes
- Makes a one-time clean out of less than 2,200 pounds (about 220 gallons)
- Needs to get rid of electronics, fluorescent lamps and batteries regardless of the above limitations.
Apply for the VSQG program
- Review the item and prices listing below.
- Submit a completed
VSQG Program Application.
Notify the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency of your waste activity on the
EPA ID # Application Form.
- Mail: Dakota County Environmental Resources
14955 Galaxie Ave.
Apple Valley, MN 55124
- Fax: 952-891-7588
Make an appointment
After receiving and reviewing your application, Dakota County staff will contact you to schedule an appointment to drop off your waste. Waste is not accepted without an appointment.
Dakota County reserves the right to refuse waste that is not transported in accordance with state requirements.
- Use containers that are closed, labeled and in good condition (not rusted or leaking) and can be left at The Recycling Zone.
- Transport lamps in original cartons or similar containers to prevent breakage. Don’t tape lamps together.
- Tape both ends of batteries or put each battery in an individual plastic bags to prevent short-circuiting.
- Keep a completed shipping paper with any waste that is not being transported under a Materials of Trade (MOT) exemption. We can provide this for you.
You must pay at the time of delivery with cash, check or a Visa/MasterCard. Make checks payable to Dakota County. You will get a payment receipt for payment.
Disposal costs (prices subject to change)
Acids – $1.75 per pound
Adhesives – $1.75 per pound
Aerosols – $0.85 per pound
Antifreeze – $0.15 per pound
Architectural paint (paid for by PaintCare) – $0.00 per pound
Bases – $1.75 per pound
Carburetor cleaner – $1.75 per pound
Cleaning agents – $1.75 per pound
Compressed gas cylinders (propane, MAPP )(1-100 pounds) – $6.15 each; (disposable) - $1.20 each
Corrosives – $1.75 per pound
Degreasers – $1.75 per pound
Fuels* – $0.30 per pound
Gasoline* – $0.30 per pound
Industrial coatings (e.g. automotive paints, marine paints, floor coating) – $0.44 per pound
Oil – Free
Oil filters – $0.43 each
Paint stripper – $1.75 per pound
Poisons – $1.75 per pound
Solvents (clean, organic)* – $0.30 per pound
Thinner* – $0.30 per pound
PCB capacitors or transformers – $6.45 per pound
PCB ballasts – $1.05 per pound
Mercury and mercury devices (e.g. thermostats, switches, thermometers, relays, barometers) – $6.80 per pound
Most other miscellaneous chemicals – $1.75 per pound
* Special pricing may be available for drum quantities of materials on a case-by-case basis.
Electronics – $0.35 per pound
Alkaline batteries – $1.50 per pound
Button batteries – $6.50 per pound
Lead-acid batteries – Free
Lithium primary batteries – $6.50 per pound
Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries – $0.80 per pound
Ni-Cad batteries – $0.80 per pound
Ni-MH batteries*– $0.80 per pound
Lamps and ballasts
Xcel Energy customers can bring an Xcel Energy utility statement and receive free disposal of up to 10 fluorescent lamps once per year.
Four foot and shorter straight fluorescent lamps – $0.25 each
Five foot and longer straight fluorescent lamps – $0.45 each
Compact fluorescent lamps – $0.30 each
Shatter-shielded fluorescent lamps – $1.30 each
U-shaped and circular fluorescent lamps – $0.30 each
HID and low-pressure sodium lamps – $0.95 each
Broken lamps (packaged in sealed containers) – $1.00 per pound
LED lamps – $0.80 each
Neon lamps – $2.75 per pound
Capacitor or transformer – $6.15 per pound
Non-PCB ballasts – $0.45 per pound
PCB ballasts – $1.05 per pound
Items not accepted
- Yard waste
- Medical equipment
- Free-standing copiers
- Business sharps
- Controlled substances
Recyclables accepted for free
The following items are accepted for free during
all open hours. No appointment necessary. Call 651-905-4520 to arrange for loads larger than would fit in the bed of a pick-up truck.
- Cartons (milk, juice boxes, soup, broth, wine)
- Glass bottles and jars
- Metal – cans, scrap, aluminum foil (clean)
- Paper - Newspapers, office papers, magazines, phone books
- Plastic bottles and containers
- Microwavable food trays
- Plastic plant pots
- Plastic bags
- Bulky plastic containers
- Empty containers that held hazardous waste
- Styrofoam products
- Paper towels and napkins
- Glassware, mirrors or ceramics
Other disposal resources for businesses.