The Dakota County Technology Projects Advisory Committee prioritizes technology investments to align with the county’s strategic goals. The committee acts as an advisory committee to the county manager and senior leadership.
The committee provides a forum of debate and planning for all departments on major system and project investments. It monitors and evaluates projects for risk, value and cost and identifies shared service opportunities. The committee creates an environment to strategically apply technology to improve the efficiency of county operations and respond to the business needs. The role of the committee is to:
- Align business and IT strategies
- IT project evaluation and prioritization
- Approval of IT projects
The committee is appointed by the senior management team. The individuals represent all areas of the county.
Projects are requested by county business areas, and IT estimates necessary IT resources to complete the project. Projects are prioritized by committee members based on:
- Urgency (for legal or regulatory mandates)
- Degree of sponsorship and funding
- Degree of collaboration with external and internal areas
- Relevance to county goals
- Risk of doing or not doing
- Constraints, issues and dependencies
- Return on investment and efficiency
- Level of positive impact and benefit
- Business readiness.