Libraries Parks

Voting & Elections

Absentee Ballots

Any resident can vote by an absentee ballot. Absentee ballots are available 46 days before all elections except March township elections. Ballots for those elections are available 30 days prior to the election and must be returned  not postmarked to Dakota County Elections by election day.

Request an absentee ballot
You may request an absentee ballot online for any election except township and special elections via the Minnesota Secretary of State’s website. You must have an email address for this option.

In person
Dakota County voters may obtain an absentee ballot for the ISD 195 Special Election by visiting the School District Office, Dakota County Administration Center or Western Service Center.

By mail
Complete an Absentee Ballot Application and return it by:

  • Mail
  • Fax to 651-438-4391
  • Email scanned document to
  • Bringing application to a county or municipal office

Applications mailed to the County should be sent to:

Administration Center
Attn: Elections
1590 Highway 55
Hastings, MN 55033-2343

Casting an absentee ballot
You may cast absentee ballots in person at the ISD 195 District Office, Dakota County Administration Center or the Western Service Center from March 27 through May 11. 

Residents may cast an absentee ballot in person at any of the locations listed below:

ISD 195 (Randolph Public Schools) District Office
29110 Davisson Avenue, P.O. Box 38
Randolph, MN 55065
Hours: 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Administration Center
1590 Hwy 55
Hastings, MN 55033
Hours: 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Western Service Center
14955 Galaxie Avenue
Apple Valley, MN 55124
Hours: 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m., Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Open from 8 a.m–6 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday.

Absentee ballots sent to you
Requested absentee ballots will be sent as quickly as possible. Initial mailings of absentee ballots for most elections take place 46 days before the election. Absentee ballots for March township elections will be sent 30 days before the election. Be sure to review the enclosed instructions, complete your absentee ballot and return it in the provided envelope.

If you’re not registered
If your registration is not current or complete, a voter registration application will be included with your absentee ballot materials.  The completed voter registration application must be returned with your voted ballot. 

Options for uniformed & overseas citizens
Dakota County voters who are overseas including those in the military, their spouses, or others may vote by absentee ballot using the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act. For more information, go to the Federal Voting Assistance Program website  and complete the form online. Print out a copy of the form and send it to:

Administration Center
Attn: Elections
1590 Highway 55
Hastings, MN 55033-2343

Military personnel, their families and citizens living outside the United States (including Canada and Mexico) may have application requests submitted by the voter, voter's parents, spouse, sibling or child over the age of 18 years.  Applications can be submitted in person at the Administration Center, Western Service Center and Northern Service Center.      

Additional voting information and resources for Americans living abroad can be found at Minnesota Overseas Voter Services or Overseas Vote Foundation.​​

Last updated: 3/25/2015 8:36 AM