Candidate filing begins May 19
Candidate filing for county offices begins Tuesday, May 19 and goes through 5 p.m. Tuesday, June 2.
Candidates for county offices include:
- County Commissioner Districts 3, 4, 5 and 7
- Soil and Water Conservation Districts 1, 2 and 3
Other offices open for filing in Dakota County include:
- State Senator for Districts 51, 52, 54, 56, 57 and 58
- State Representative for Districts 51A, 51B, 52A, 52B, 54A, 54B, 56A, 56B, 57A, 57B, 58A and 58B
- Supreme Court Associate Justice Seat 4
- Court of Appeals Seat 3
- First District Court Seats 1, 3, 4, 9, 12, 16, 18, 19, 27 and 32
Candidates may file in one of three ways:
- Mail a completed, notarized Affidavit of Candidacy and the filing fee (check) to Dakota County Elections at 1590 Highway 55, Ste. 2300, Hastings, MN 55033
- Complete an Affidavit of Candidacy and pay the filing fee at the Dakota County Elections office (address above). Upon arrival, call 651-438-4305 and a staff member will escort you in.
- Email a completed, notarized Affidavit of Candidacy to email@example.com and then call 651-438-4305 to pay the filing fee by credit card.
There are different filing requirements, dates and locations depending on the political office you are running for.
To run for office, you must meet all of these requirements:
For a complete list of requirements by office, visit the MNvotes.org website.
For federal, state and judicial offices: May 19, 2020 to June 2, 2020 at 5 p.m.
For county offices: May 19, 2020 to June 2, 2020 at 5 p.m.
For city offices where a primary is possible: May 19, 2020 to June 2, 2020 at 5 p.m.
For city offices without a primary: July 28, 2020 to Aug. 11, 2020 at 5 p.m.
Where you file for office depends on the level of government:
Municipal offices: The city or town hall of the municipality.
School district offices: The administrative building for the school district.
County offices: Administration Center, 1590 Highway 55, Hastings
State legislature, executive or judicial offices: Administration Center, 1590 Highway 55, Hastings (if you reside in Dakota County) or the Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State, 180 State Office Building, 100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., St. Paul.
Federal offices: Office of Minnesota Secretary of State, 180 State Office Building, 100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., St. Paul.