Financial counseling with Dakota County Financial Empowerment Services can help you with:
- Making ends meet — learn strategies to stretch, grow, and save your money
- Getting out of debt — develop a customized plan to reduce your debt
- Improving your credit score — identify strategies to improve your score or a counselor can assist you with disputes to the credit bureaus
- Reporting identity theft — review your risk factors, identify possible identity theft, and work with you to remedy any problems
- Paying off student loans — develop a repayment plan and educate yourself about various loan payment programs
- Filing for bankruptcy — discuss your current financial situation to decide if bankruptcy counseling is right for you
- Applying for public assistance — learn about assistance programs and get help navigating the application process
- Filing taxes — learn about credits and get connected to free tax preparation services
- Buying a house — determine your readiness for purchasing a house, get help going through the process or get fast-tracked into one of Habitat for Humanity’s homeownership options.
Meet with an accredited counselor —for free!
Counseling services are free for residents of Dakota County. Scheduling priority is given to residents who are experiencing a financial hardship. You can meet with counselors as many times as needed. There is typically a two to four week period between appointments, but this timeline is based on your needs.
Counselors are Accredited Financial Counselors® who have met the education and experience requirements of the Association for Financial Counseling & Planning Education (AFCPE®). The AFCPE certifies to the highest standards in the field of financial counseling, training and education. Our program is a teaching program. You may meet with an AFC® candidate. Candidates are supervised by an AFC and therefore provide a high level of professional service.
Set up an appointment
Call 651-554-5763 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment. Counseling sessions are conducted at the Northern Service Center. The first session takes between 1 to 1.5 hours. Each additional session can take 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Bring financial documents if you like
You are not required to bring any documentation sessions. However, documents such as pay stubs, account statements, bills and other relevant financial documents can be helpful.
Get your credit report for free
Federal law allows everyone to obtain their credit report free of charge. Counselors will meet with a client, review their current financial goals, and assist them with safely retrieving their credit report. Counselors will work with clients to help them understand the credit report and take action when needed to make improvements.