Get all the latest information on taxes at the following sites:
Free Tax Preparation
You may qualify for free tax preparation at various locations across Minnesota. You can generally get help at a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site if any of the following are true:
- You are age 60 or older
- You are a person with a disability
- You speak limited or no English
- Your annual income is less than $54,000
In addition, the AARP Tax-Aide program offers free tax preparation for all taxpayers, particularly those who are age 50 or older. AARP Tax-Aide sites do not have income or age restrictions. Both programs will only prepare basic returns.
- Dakota County Free Tax Prep Map: A map of free tax prep locations available in Dakota County.
- Minnesota Department of Revenue Free Tax Prep Search: Free help for low- to moderate-income individuals who generally make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. For the nearest location, call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.
- Prepare + Prosper: Free tax services in Minneapolis, St. Paul, Hopkins, and Bloomington. Prepare + Prosper isn't just taxes. They also offer financial products and services at their tax sites. You can also call 651-287-0187.
- My Free Taxes: Easy, safe, secure and 100 percent free tax filing resource from the United Way and a partnership with H&R Block.
What you should bring
You should bring any statements, forms, receipts or other documentation of your income, tax-deductible expenses, and property tax or rental payments you made. The Minnesota Department of Revenue has checklists are available in the following languages English Spanish Somali Hmong
IRS Tax Question Video