The Very Small Quantity Generator (VSQG) program helps businesses that produce smaller amounts of hazardous waste such as solvents, paints, used oil and fuels. Businesses and organizations are eligible to participate if they:
- Produce less than 220 pounds or about 22 gallons per month of hazardous wastes
- Make a one-time clean out of less than 2,200 pounds (about 220 gallons)
- Electronics, fluorescent lamps and batteries are accepted from businesses regardless of the above limitations.
Apply for the VSQG program
- Review the item listing below.
- Submit a completed
VSQG Program Application online (does not work with Chrome browser) or print and email form.
- Notify the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency of your waste activity on the
EPA ID # Application Form.
Make an appointment to drop-off hazardous waste
Businesses that complete a program application will be able to schedule appointments to drop off waste at The Recycling Zone. Contact
Rolland Meillier, 952-891-7545, for more information.
Dakota County reserves the right to refuse waste that is not transported in accordance with state requirements.
- Containers must be closed, labeled and in good condition (not rusted or leaking).
- Containers must be secured in the vehicle to prevent spills or breakage.
- Transport waste in a container that can be left at the facility.
- Transport lamps in original cartons or similar containers to prevent breakage. Don’t tape lamps together.
- A completed shipping paper must accompany any waste that is not being transported under a Materials of Trade (MOT) exemption. We can provide this for you.
Cash, check, and Visa/MasterCard are accepted forms of payment at the Recycling Zone. Make checks payable to Dakota County. Businesses are issued a receipt for payment, which is due at the time of delivery.
Disposal costs (prices subject to change)
Acids – $1.75 per pound
Adhesives – $1.75 per pound
Aerosols – $0.85 per pound
Antifreeze – $0.15 per pound
Architectural paint (paid for by PaintCare) – $0.00 per pound
Bases – $1.75 per pound
Carburetor cleaner – $1.75 per pound
Cleaning agents – $1.75 per pound
Compressed gas cylinders (propane, MAPP )(1-100 pounds) – $6.15 each; (disposable) - $1.20 each
Corrosives – $1.75 per pound
Degreasers – $1.75 per pound
Fuels* – $0.30 per pound
Gasoline* – $0.30 per pound
Industrial coatings (e.g. automotive paints, marine paints, floor coating) – $0.44 per pound
Oil – Free
Oil filters – $0.43 each
Paint stripper – $1.75 per pound
Poisons – $1.75 per pound
Solvents (clean, organic)* – $0.30 per pound
Thinner* – $0.30 per pound
PCB capacitors or transformers – $6.45 per pound
PCB ballasts – $1.05 per pound
Mercury and mercury devices (e.g. thermostats, switches, thermometers, relays, barometers) – $6.80 per pound
Most other miscellaneous chemicals – $1.75 per pound
* Special pricing may be available for drum quantities of materials on a case-by-case basis.
Electronics – $0.35 per pound
Alkaline batteries – $1.50 per pound
Button batteries – $6.50 per pound
Lead-acid batteries – Free
Lithium primary batteries – $6.50 per pound
Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries – $0.80 per pound
Ni-Cad batteries – $0.80 per pound
Ni-MH batteries – $0.80 per pound
Lamps and ballasts
Xcel Energy customers can bring an Xcel Energy utility statement and receive free disposal of up to 10 fluorescent lamps once per year.
Four foot and shorter straight fluorescent lamps – $0.25 each
Five foot and longer straight fluorescent lamps – $0.45 each
Compact fluorescent lamps – $0.30 each
Shatter-shielded fluorescent lamps – $1.30 each
U-shaped and circular fluorescent lamps – $0.30 each
HID and low-pressure sodium lamps – $0.95 each
Broken lamps (packaged in sealed containers) – $1.00 per pound
LED lamps – $0.80 each
Neon lamps – $2.75 per pound
Capacitor or transformer – $6.15 per pound
Non-PCB ballasts – $0.45 per pound
PCB ballasts – $1.05 per pound
Items not accepted
- Yard waste
- Medical equipment
- Free-standing copiers
- Business sharps
- Controlled substances
Recyclables accepted for free
The following items are accepted for free during all open hours. No appointment necessary. Call 651-905-4520 to arrange for loads larger than would fit in the bed of a pick-up truck.
Cartons (milk, juice boxes, soup, broth, wine)
Glass bottles and jars
Metal – cans, scrap, aluminum foil (clean)
Paper - Newspapers, office papers, magazines, phone books
Plastic bottles and containers
Microwavable food trays
Plastic plant pots
Bulky plastic containers
Empty containers that held hazardous waste
Paper towels and napkins
Glassware, mirrors or ceramics
Other disposal resources for businesses.